Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Modern fake Gordian III coins  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Tibsi

• Caesar
    • http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=11846
Modern fake Gordian III coins
« on: November 26, 2021, 06:42:54 pm »
Hi,

Here are 4 fake Gordian III on an auction.

[LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Modern fake Gordian III coins on a Poland auction
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 10:57:23 pm »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 11:35:14 am »
Are they a cast forgeries?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 02:42:20 pm »
No, they are not cast. They are struck or pressed with modern dies. The style is wrong. They have flow lines. That means that if they were cast, they would be casts of struck or pressed fakes. One of them has convincing flan cracks, so they are undoubtedly all struck or pressed fakes.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 08:20:10 pm »
1 and 4 obverse styles are way off.  2 and 3 are closer to reality.  But in any event - never buy a coin from Poland, Ukraine or Bulgaria.  Just never.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:44:14 pm »
Aren’t  #3 and #4 obverse die-matches ?
DT

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2021, 08:51:50 pm »
1 and 4 obverse styles are way off.  2 and 3 are closer to reality.  But in any event - never buy a coin from Poland, Ukraine or Bulgaria.  Just never.

More coins for me :)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2021, 09:33:33 pm »
Aren’t  #3 and #4 obverse die-matches ?
DT

On closer inspection. Yes, I think so.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2021, 10:24:36 pm »
I would never make a blanket statement about certain countries. I have bought from Bulgaria before and would buy from anywhere if I trusted the seller. There is a guy who sells on the Forum Members Auction who mails from Bulgaria and it is probably now obvious why he lists his country as Austria rather than Bulgaria. Outside of the time it takes to get the mail, never an issue. I do say this about Ebay, but I would clarify that if I know the seller, I would buy via that site, as well. Seriously, if we were really serious about this country condemnation, why would we ever buy anything from China? Yet we do it every day. And I know a lot of folks from Poland, mainly those I served with in Afghanistan. All honest to a fault, in my opinion, and some of the best people I ever met.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2021, 11:02:40 pm »
Well maybe others have had great results. A quick search of eBay, the nfsl, etc. Tell me eastern Europe is a hotbed of coin fakery.

Others can tempt fate. I'll put my trust in reputable dealers like forum and established numismatic auctioneers.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2021, 02:04:04 am »
I wrote a long response and deleted it. What I will say is that know your dealer also applies to dealers in eastern Europe. There are more US sellers on the NFSL, yet we don't condemn all US sellers. We do condemn all eastern Europeans, though. That says a lot about us, I think, way more about us than about them (and I know you are Canadian, so I am all that more surprised being that is such an American exceptionalism attitude). My two known fakes came from a seller in Afghanistan and a seller in the US. Not from eastern Europe.

Virgil

Offline Pawel K

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2021, 03:33:53 am »
Wow, I just asked about fakes and it made such an interesting dispute ;)

I'm from Poland and the biggest number of polish fake coins i've seen were sold in Germany and Austria.
What that tells us? Absolutely nothing. Just know the coin or the seller.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2021, 07:50:34 am »
I wrote a long response and deleted it. What I will say is that know your dealer also applies to dealers in eastern Europe. There are more US sellers on the NFSL, yet we don't condemn all US sellers. We do condemn all eastern Europeans, though. That says a lot about us, I think, way more about us than about them (and I know you are Canadian, so I am all that more surprised being that is such an American exceptionalism attitude). My two known fakes came from a seller in Afghanistan and a seller in the US. Not from eastern Europe.

Virgil

Virgil - American exceptionalism?? Hardly. I buy all over the world, and travel to actual locations to buy many times. I'm not American and married a Ukrainian woman who immigrated to Canada as an adult. I would nevertheless not buy a coin mailed from Ukraine, and my wife is the first person to advise me not to!

I play the odds, and in person, at dealers around the world, and in online marketplaces like eBay, I know what parts of the world I have encountered a lot of fakes in.

Your mileage may vary and I respect everyone else's choices in where to source coins. By the way, a majority of my coins were not sourced in the USA, for what it's worth. A great many have come from Canada, UK, Germany, France, Italy, Belgium. Greece, the Czech Republic and Portugal.

For eastern Europe - personally - I would recommend to buy in person if so inclined, which is only my opinion based on my own coin buying experiences. I get that there is contrary sentiment here, and I respect that too. 

Ps: many parts of eastern Europe are beautiful and a coin buying trip there would be a great experience mixed with lots of local cultural opportunities. Inspect the coins carefully, as always.

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2021, 01:12:49 pm »
Seriously, if we were really serious about this country condemnation, why would we ever buy anything from China?

I would and do buy items made in China all the time, but only from US based dealers, and only once they have been legally imported to the US (where I live).

Would I buy an ancient coin from a dealer based in China and have it shipped to me from China? Not a chance. Would I buy a coin from China that has been legally imported to the US, and either sold or consigned to a US based dealer like Forum? Yes.

My policy for China, regarding buying ancient coins, is the same for other countries as well. I only buy from US based dealers. That is just my policy, and I arrived at it for a number of reasons, including but not limited to factors such as international shipping, customs, legal rights of ownership, forgery, and dealer guarantee (likelihood of a bona fide guarantee and certainty of availing myself of it).

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2021, 02:32:26 pm »
It all comes down to, know the coin or know the seller.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity