Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tacitus Extravaganza  (Read 1180 times)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Tacitus Extravaganza
« on: August 14, 2021, 05:45:06 pm »
I'm pleased to share two superb antoninianii depicting a figure of some fascination for me, Tacitus.

Tacitus was an accomplished politician nearing the end of his life when the Senate offered him the top job, eight months after the assassination of Aurelian. Tacitus hesitated to take up the imperial mantle, presumably aware of his age and the ignominious fates that had befallen most of his predecessors. He nevertheless accepted the job out of a sense of duty in September 275 and set about restoring power to the Senate. Alas, this was not to last. Tacitus and his brother Florian were called east to deal with rebellious tribes (earning the title Gothicus Maximus in the process; a title preserved on some coins). On the return journey, the aged Tacitus expired of a fever (although as usual, some suspected foul play). He had survived imperial power for less than six months.

In my view, the portraiture of Tacitus is an interesting moment in Roman art. Seemingly abandoning the abstracted and heroic portraiture of his predecessor Aurelian, there is a sudden spasm of realism. Tacitus is depicted as he was: an elderly, slightly overweight politician. To be sure, his coins are still trying to project power and authority. But his frailties are also present in a way that never seems to be depicted on Roman coins again.  The author of RIC V describes the portraits minted at Lugdunum as "pleasant, homely" and notes that the early coins minted at Ticinum show an emperor "whose forehead is generally low, with a flat head, and often a weak, receding chin. These faults were corrected under Florian, whose portrait is virile and warlike..."

I present for your enjoyment my two recent acquisitions: one from Ticinum and the other from Lugdunum. Both show the realism I mention above, although it's more present in the Lugdunum example.

1. Tacitus Antoninianus - (22mm, 4.08 g, 12h) - Ticinum mint, 5th officina. 2nd emission, early-mid AD 276. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Securitas standing left with legs cross, leaning on column, and resting hand on head; U. RIC V 163; BN 1708-9. Reddish-brown patina, minor porosity, traces of silvering. Near EF.

2. Tacitus Antoninianus - (23mm, 3.72 g, 6h) - Lugdunum (Lyon) mint, 1st officina. 5th emission, March-April AD 276. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / Felicitas standing left, holding long caduceus and cornucopia; AA//–. RIC V 65; BN 1463-7; Lyon 78. Toned silvering. Good VF.

Post your best Tacitus portrait!

Evan

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Tacitus Extravaganza
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 10:00:13 am »
Hello Evan,

Great coins. Congrats. Even if I had Tacitus' examples I doubt that they would compete with yours.

Tracy

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 03:53:04 am »
Two very nice coins. I personally like the style of the Lugdunum coins in general. Yours is a really graceful looking profile.

Offline Kim B. N

• Caesar
  • Omnium rerum principia parva sunt
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 03:39:59 pm »
Great portraits:o :o +++

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2021, 08:51:25 pm »
Both coins have excellent portraits.
You ask for our best Tacitus portraits.  Easy for me.  I have only one Tacitus coin.  Ha!

Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 10:42:52 am »
Nice coins,  +++

Congratulation.

You can find some others in my Tacitus Gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4866

Regards

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 08:46:13 pm »
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Digger

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2023, 07:08:53 pm »
What do think of these ?

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2023, 09:40:29 pm »
As mix_val says above, "You ask for our best Tacitus portraits.  Easy for me.  I have only one Tacitus coin. "
Me too. Here it is.

Antoninianus, 275 - 276 AD, Serdica mint.
Obverse: IMP C M CL TACITVS P AVG  /  Radiate bust of Tacitus.
Reverse: CONSERVAT MILIT  /  Tacitus standing, holding sceptre and receiving globe from Jupiter, who is also standing and holding a sceptre.  A between them. K A in exergue.
3.41 gm., 21.5 mm.                           
RIC #192.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2023, 10:20:41 pm »
the OP's Lyon coin is my favorite so far because of the detailing in the beard.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2023, 06:50:55 pm »
Wonderful examples everybody!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity