Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: seleukos III?  (Read 689 times)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
seleukos III?
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:47:09 am »
Hi,

I did buy this coin because I thought it would be easy to indentify, but it appears to be more difficult then I thought. At fist glance I would say it's Seleukos III with a anchor countermark (Houghton 63), but I have my doubts. So maybe the experts can tell me more?
It's 14-15 mm in diameter, copper, 2,9 gms (unit C/D?) and has a remarkable large "anchor"countermarks on the face. The c/m has a "+" left and a greek  :GreeK_Sigma: to the right. I saw eaxmples on the internet of antiochos III (i.e. https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3307696) , but never with Seleukos. The backside definitely reads Seleukos..
Can anyone solve this riddle/ knows at what time the c/m was placed?

Thanks in advance,
Yours, Svir

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: seleukos III?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 04:56:00 pm »
Yes, I believe the Antiochos III "Apollo on omphalos" type is more likely.

I have seen several dates put forward for the anchor counter-mark, including the Fifth Syrian War (202-195 BC and thus also under Antiochus III) or more vaguely 175-150 BC (thus Antiochos IV to Demetrius I Soter).

Maybe others know what the current scholarship on the CM indicates.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 08:13:59 am »
Remains of the royal name fit Seleukos rather than Antiochos.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 08:50:27 am »
You're right.  So it is the scarer and larger Seleucus III type, with Artemis on the obverse.  This is usually 15-16mm, but 14 is still known.

At first I thought it was the smaller and much more common Antiochus III type, but 14mm is too large for that.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pim San

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 04:15:51 pm »
Hi,

It appears to be a nice study object  ;). Thank you all for your "closer look". I didn't find it on SCO, maybe a new variant? Who knows...

Thanks again,
Yours,
Svir

All coins are guaranteed for eternity