Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help on a Byzantine Follis Imitation or?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Help on a Byzantine Follis Imitation or?
« on: May 02, 2021, 06:49:17 pm »
I thought it was an imitation but I am not sure, seems to have signs of overstrike or double strike. Its not my time period, I cannot figure out the ruler or even the mint.

Any help would be appreciated. The picture was the best I could do, the reverse clearly has a M. The rest ??

11.9gm and 32,76mm I am very curios on the mint as well.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Help on a Byzantine Follis Imitation or?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:48:13 pm »
TOUGH!
But perhaps a contemporary imitation of Justin and Sophia, with MAYBE a CON (Constantinople) mint mark.
Let’s see what others think.
PeteB

Offline Basil

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 03:02:09 am »
What about Heraclius, Follis, Mint of Seleucia Issauiae?
Usually with illegible und blundered legend.
Basil

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 04:30:13 pm »
Hi Basil, I did get an answer on another board , this is not my work. but a gentleman that uses the handle Severus Alexander.

None of our experts have chimed in, I see, so I'll offer my 2 cents. The coin most probably depicts Heraclius with Heraclius Constantine. I think there are two possibilities, 1) the Seleucia Isauriae mint, or 2) a Syrian imitation struck by the Sassanids, Pottier Class IV(2).

The Seleucia Isauriae mint should have a mint signature something like SЄLISЧ, but I have certainly seem some wild ones, and a double or overstrike (quite common) could make these look like your coin.

A secondary possibility: the Syrian imitations issued during the Sasanian occupation can vary quite widely, and could look like your coin. I'd suggest looking at Pottier's paper Le monnayage de la Syrie sous l'occupation Perse, available here: https://www.persee.fr/doc/numi_0484-8942_2010_num_6_166_2946 .

He gave good visuals but I do not have permission to use them.

So he agrees with you but gave another mint possibility.

Thanks for chiming in .

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity