Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan's VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI type  (Read 811 times)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Trajan's VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI type
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:02:31 pm »
This unusual type of c. 113 AD, showing the standard personification of Virtus facing the standard personification of Felicitas, was originally published from an aureus in the French Royal collection, which was however unfortunately stolen and melted down in the deplorable theft of most of the ancient gold from the French collection in 1831. No second specimen of the aureus has yet turned up!

Cohen 653 (200 francs) knew the type only from that stolen Paris aureus. Strack 438, published in 1931, however, found two specimens of the corresponding sestertius, in Vienna and Munich, both from the same die pair, showing Trajan's bust with aegis on shoulder, both unfortunately so worn that the reverse legend could not be read, though the reported aureus made the restoration [VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI] S C certain.

In recent years additional specimens of the sestertius, with legible reverse legends, have been turning up! Woytek, in his excellent monograph of 2010 on Trajan's coinage, no. 471, found four such specimens to report:

Two specimens with the bust type with aegis, one of which, from a Gorny & Mosch sale and illustrated by Woytek, is from the same dies as the Vienna and Munich specimens. The second maybe from the same dies too, but I can't check it: quoted by Woytek from a private collection (Jones), illustrated on Matt Sersch's website on the coinage of Trajan, which is apparently no longer on line.

Two further specimens, from CNG sales of the 1990s, from a different reverse die, and with Trajan's bust draped and cuirassed on the obverse, both illustrated by Woytek.

Recently I have acquired specimens of both varieties of this sestertius, one of them very nice.

First, from CNG E319, 29 Jan. 2014, lot 410, a worn specimen of the draped and cuirassed variety, from the same dies as the two earlier CNG specimens reported and illustrated by Woytek. In CNG's picture of my coin, reproduced below, it seemed that the reverse legend might be illegible, but I was pleased to find that on the coin itself the legend, though weak, can be faintly made out.

The second specimen, easily the finest known, shows the bust with aegis variety, from the same die pair as Vienna, Munich, and the earlier Gorny & Mosch coin. Source Gorny & Mosch 219, 10 March 2014, lot 398; their photo below.

Curtis Clay

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Trajan's VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI type
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 09:15:28 pm »
Nice coins and interesting story, Curtis.  I didn't know one could infer the legend on a sestertius with reference to an aureus!

How do we know the thieves melted down the stolen coins? 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 09:31:32 pm »
The same Virtus type, and the same Felicitas type, were introduced individually on Trajan's denarii, with his standard reverse legend SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI, at about the same time as the rare VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI type appeared on his sestertii. The same Felicitas standing type, without Virtus, also appeared on Trajan's sestertii and dupondii at about the same time, with legend FELICITAS AVGVST. I illustrate all three of these single-figure types below, from images in CoinArchives Pro.

One might have thought that Virtus and Felicitas are standard Roman imperial reverse types, appropriate in any issue, unconnected to each other and without reference to the emperor's actual activities and plans. The VIRTVTI ET FELICITATI type on the sestertii and the lost aureus, however, suggests that these two types were introduced together on the denarii, and had an exact historical meaning: the emperor was preparing for his Parthian expedition of 114, whose success would depend on his valor (Virtus) and good fortune (Felicitas). Strack points out that on Trajan's ADVENTVS AVG medallion that commemorated his successful return to Rome in 107 from his second Dacian war, it was Felicitas who led the emperor's horse, while Mars and two soldiers followed behind!

Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:49 pm »
How do we know the thieves melted down the stolen coins?

The coins were stolen by a single man, who hid and had himself locked in at closing time, then exited with his sack of gold coins through a window!

If I recall correctly (it's been twenty years since I read the details), the thief was caught quickly, but not before he had given the coins to his brother, who happened to be a jeweler with his own furnace, to melt them down. I imagine that he confessed, and that the melted gold was recovered from his brother! Certainly many of the unique coins in the collection have never turned up in later sales or private collections.
Curtis Clay

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 11:03:45 pm »

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 02:43:48 pm »
Great, thanks for the link, Charley!

Pretty much the equivalent of mine in preservation, apparently from the same reverse die but a different with-aegis obverse die!
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity