Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Selection of Elagabalus Coins  (Read 746 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
Selection of Elagabalus Coins
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:21:39 pm »
Hello,

I wanted to share a selection of coins from an Elagabalus collection I'm building. I'm getting kind of excited that it's starting to look like a coherent group.  :)

I believe only one or two of these is currently in my gallery, so I hope its ok to post this group shot here rather than the member's gallery thread. Eventually I will probably add individual images of the coins to my gallery.

Also this is my first attempt at photographing a group of coins together (instead of individually). It's a challenge to maintain detail in both the bright and dark coins at the same time. Sorry I did not include descriptions of the coins, if anyone is interested I can post those, too.

Any constructive comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: Selection of Elagabalus Coins
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:39:42 pm »
Nice pic +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 04:42:53 pm »
[quote author=Michael K5 link=topic=94956.msg588788#msg588788 date=

Also this is my first attempt at photographing a group of coins together (instead of individually).

Any constructive comments are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
[/quote]

Well done!!!

PeteB

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 09:26:08 pm »
It's a very attractive pic and a handsome collection. I like team pictures of my coins as well, but I shoot each coin individually and create a composite in photoshop. As you say, capturing the detail in a group shot that includes both dark and light coins is difficult. You've managed to accomplish it quite well.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 01:31:56 pm »
Thanks for the comments!

It's a very attractive pic and a handsome collection. I like team pictures of my coins as well ...

I like the idea of a "team" picture!  :)   While I think it's great to study and consider each coin individually, placing them in context with other coins lends each one a kind of extended meaning whereby the whole is definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Some coins are common, some are rare, some coins are perhaps more visually interesting than others or more "historical;" but together they tell a story that none could quite accomplish on its own.

I think the drive to construct a "story," the desire for context and meaning, is one of the prime motivations for collecting, and why most people don't stop after acquiring their first coin.

... but I shoot each coin individually and create a composite in photoshop. As you say, capturing the detail in a group shot that includes both dark and light coins is difficult. You've managed to accomplish it quite well.

I did not spend very much time on this image aside from making several adjustments using Photoshop.

But I realize now, looking at the image, that since the lighting was positioned near top of the group, the coins in the top row received more light than coins in the bottom row. This seems like a difficult problem to solve in a true group shot! An example is the coin at the upper left, which appears way brighter than the coin at the bottom left (MARS VICTOR); but in reality the are approximately the same brightness!

So, as you say Mr. Anthony, perhaps the best way to maximize the quality of each coin image is to shoot them separately and create a composite image. Generally, too, I like to "outline" the image and remove the background and any shadow so that the coin is shown against a field of plain white.

Creating a composite image, with each individual coin on a separate layer, also makes it easy to arrange and position the coins exactly by simply manipulating the image rather than the actual coins on a surface.

A disadvantage of creating a composite image from individual coin images is that it could be difficult to get the relative size proportions exact. Although I suppose this wouldn't be a problem as long as the camera isn't moved on the stand and the images aren't resized differently before being dragged into the same image on separate layers. I'll have to try this!

Another idea would be to photograph each coin next to a measuring scale. Then, when each individual coin image is dragged onto the composite image on its own separate layer, the layer can be made semi-transparent long enough to superimpose its measuring scale onto the one appearing on the layer below it, or on a base layer, after which the measuring scale on the active layer can be deleted. If this is done methodically for each new layer, it would ensure accurate relative sizes for each coin in the image.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 01:49:38 pm »
The measuring scale seems fussy to me. I have a small copy stand, and I always position the camera at the top of the stand, so it's always the same distance from the coins. I use the full-sized images to create the composite, then reduce the size of the file for the sake of posting. That way, all the coins get resized at once, and they maintain their relationship to each other in terms of size.

Here's a composite which has no profound theme to speak of, really - just the Roman coins I acquired in March. I'm not happy with some of the individual images, so I'll have to re-shoot them.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 02:13:21 pm »
Ah, nice image!   +++ I like the variety, especially how you've included the fourrée at upper right. It really adds a lot of interest!

The measuring scale seems fussy to me. I have a small copy stand, and I always position the camera at the top of the stand, so it's always the same distance from the coins. I use the full-sized images to create the composite, then reduce the size of the file for the sake of posting. That way, all the coins get resized at once, and they maintain their relationship to each other in terms of size.

John, yes, you are right. The measuring scale would be too fussy! As you say, as long as the camera is always positioned exactly the same, the individual images are kept the same size relative to each other, and the coins aren't resized separately once they're placed into the composite image, they should appear correctly proportioned relative to one another in the final image.

When I have time, I would like to take the same coins I have posted here, shoot them individually, and make a composite image similar to yours to see how it turns out.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 02:19:08 pm »
Sorry, perhaps this thread belongs under the "Coin Photography, Conservation, and Storage" section of FORVM. But my original intention in posting was to "show off" the progress of my collection rather than to get into the technical specifics of coin photography.   :)

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:22 pm »
I look forward to your composite image! I heartily agree with you on the value of such images. An emperor like Elagabalus has a rich numismatic story to tell, and seeing a number of his coins side-by-side tells that story in a vivid way.

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:36 pm »
The CONCORDIA type with Julia and Elagabalus standing, clasping hands, is the earliest acquisition of the group, purchased in late 2000. The latest acquisition is the sestertius, purchased a few weeks ago. So the image represents a span of nearly fourteen years of collecting. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity