Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tacitus - Help ID  (Read 314 times)

vanter

Tacitus - Help ID
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:22:36 am »
Help to ID the mint e RIC, I m not found with this P (lying down) in right field, for me not like a Q and this coin not show exergue
Thanks for your help

23mm. - 3,9 grs

Valecrucis

Re: Tacitus - Help ID
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:32:44 am »
I agree that the base of the Q, if that is what it is, looks a little flattened and gives the impression of a P, but if you look at the FORUM gallery coin at this link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=222&pos=11

..I would be inclined to think that the general style of the Q is similar. Though I am no expert and would be interested to hear the opinion of those far more knowledgeable than I, I would apply the old mantra that 'common things happen commonly' and assume that this is indeed a Q and not a sideways P. Having said that there does seem to be an absence of the expected XXI in the exergue, for the Siscia mint type....don't know what that is about. Interesting!

vanter

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:50:01 am »
I agree that the base of the Q, if that is what it is, looks a little flattened and gives the impression of a P, but if you look at the FORUM gallery coin at this link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=222&pos=11

..I would be inclined to think that the general style of the Q is similar. Though I am no expert and would be interested to hear the opinion of those far more knowledgeable than I, I would apply the old mantra that 'common things happen commonly' and assume that this is indeed a Q and not a sideways P. Having said that there does seem to be an absence of the expected XXI in the exergue, for the Siscia mint type....don't know what that is about. Interesting!

Your link is from Aurelian coin?! not Tacitus  ??? ??? ???

Valecrucis

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:57:13 am »
Odd.  Not when I click on it. It is for this pic here from someone called Maridvnvm's gallery. it is a different coin, but I post it just for the sake of the Q:

vanter

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 11:04:26 am »
Odd.  Not when I click on it. It is for this pic here from someone called Maridvnvm's gallery. it is a different coin, but I post it just for the sake of the Q:

Very similar, but mine dont have the exergue...

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:41:00 am »
Dear Senatus, Valecrucis, & Board,

When pasting links to coins in a Forvm gallery, you need to copy the permanent URL, found in the "File information" section of the record.  Here is the correct link:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-14372

Senatus:  15 specimens of your coin type have so far been recorded on RIC V.1/2 (Online):

http://www.ric.mom.fr/en/coin/3651

The distorted look of the officina letter in the right field appears to be the result of mild tooling.  Consider the 'P' in 'IMP' which has possibly been made to look like an 'A'.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:45:24 pm »
The fields of the coin appear to have been smoothed.  It is possible a weakly struck exergue mark was smoothed away.

That is the problem with all coins that have been tooled, even slightly--you can never be sure something has not be removed, if only by accident.

vanter

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
The fields of the coin appear to have been smoothed.  It is possible a weakly struck exergue mark was smoothed away.

That is the problem with all coins that have been tooled, even slightly--you can never be sure something has not be removed, if only by accident.

So is probally RIC 186 from Siscia, right?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity