Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My basilica OTD  (Read 608 times)

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
My basilica OTD
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:00:48 pm »
Normally, I don't 'do' Republican coins - they form a minority of my collection - but this one I could not resist, despite its quality:
Veiled head of the Vestal Aemilia right, a wreath behind and a simpulum in front/
Two storied  Basilica AEmilia as it was constructed in 179 BC by M.AEmilius lepidus and M.Fulvius Nobilior. M.AEmilius Lepidus renovated the structure in 80-78 BC and the son of this person was the mintmaster of this coin; - AIMILIA above and LEPIDVS below. REF tot the left and SC to the right. By Crawford it was described as nr 419/3 and dated 61 BC. More recent dating comes up with 56 BC.
Hope you also like this coin.

Frans

PS For those who don't know: the ground plan of the Basilica is still to be seen on the Forum in Rome.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: My basilica OTD
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:43 pm »
Very interesting coin and the History.
 +++ ;)
Thank you
Best Regards
quadrans
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity