Resources > The Members' Gallery

New gallery, Parthian focus

(1/2) > >>

Kamnaskires:
 :Chi-Rho_noPinOval:Just uploaded a gallery of my Parthian coins: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16274

Please stop by to poke around.  FYI, I opted to follow Dave Welsh's convention (from the Classical Coins website) of dividing the history of Parthia into three parts (early, middle, late)...thus three folders of coins.  Enjoy.

- Bob

Dk0311USMC:
Very nice collection Bob!  I still have a whole lot of catching up to do on my own gallery....   Hopefully ill see you at the ACSG later this month. I'm working on freeing up that evening on my calendar.

Steve E:
A very nice Parthian collection indeed! Looks like you have been collecting them for a long time!

I have long admired these, but have yet to obtain any. Some in your collection look familiar, like I may have bid on them too. If so I'm glad they found a really nice home!

What is the significance of the figure on the rev. on the early coins? Looks like he is handing off his bow, like he is done fighting, or offering peace.

I really need to study these more! The artistry in the first two eras in particular is first rate!!!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful coins!

~Steve

Kamnaskires:
Thanks for the nice comments, gents.

Steve, the archer that is depicted on the reverse of many coins in the series is believed to represent Arsakes I, the founder of the dynasty.  As Fred Shore states in his important book Parthian Coins and History: Ten Dragons Against Rome, "Ancestor worship was practiced among the Parthians, and was extended to their coinage." 

I'm not sure that anyone has ever definitively determined what the gesture of holding the bow in that manner means.

Bob

Kamnaskires:
"Very nice collection Bob!  I still have a whole lot of catching up to do on my own gallery....   Hopefully ill see you at the ACSG later this month. I'm working on freeing up that evening on my calendar."

Thanks, Danny.  I really hope you can make it for my presentation.  I'll post a note in the "Ancient Coins Clubs and Shows" thread a few days prior to the Ancient Coin Study Group meeting, though I doubt there are too many St. Louis members of this board who might read it and attend...but we'll see.  See you soon!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version