Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Geta fouree?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline krazy

• Consul
Geta fouree?
« on: December 18, 2008, 09:18:16 am »
Hi everyone! I bought this coin (17.5 mm) recently with the "feeling" that it may be a Geta fouree. It has a (strange?) dark-red patina and I'm not sure if should be cleaned to reveal more details. Unfortunately I don't have a weight but I hope the picture will tell something about it's 'type' and authenticity.

Best regards, Dany

romeo

Re: Geta fouree?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:07:36 pm »
well i cant find a AE with this reverse so unless i have over looked it (which believe me is possible) it is reasonable to conclude it is a fouree with the silvering blasted away by a harsh cleaning process, maybe too long in the old lemon juice!
atually i have just seen this that you might want to take a look at....https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=49449.msg307829#msg307829

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 01:07:58 pm »
Ancient limes denarii were often low-grade alloy or billon; they would start out apparently silver, then lose their silver look over time.  I think yours is a billon denarius.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 05:27:30 pm »
The coin is a limes denarius with the priestly implements. Your example looks authentic.

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 05:45:29 pm »
Thank you for your prompt answers. As you said romeo, it seems the coin suffered a harsh cleaning process. That's why I have reasons to believe this is a genuine billon denarius. What I'm trying to say is that I bought the coin from a seller who had about 50 coins (mostly 4th century common follis) all cleaned in the same way. He had a fix price for all of them, including 2 greek coins, 2 AE Trajan and a very nice AE Delmatius.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 07:10:39 pm »
-- What the billon suggestion implies is that your coin has not necessarily suffered an especially harsh cleaning-process; billon naturally weathers like bronze while coin silver does not.  As a billon coin goes, yours is probably aVF, with no sign of harsh cleaning, in my view at least.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 08:29:04 pm »
To be honest, with the couple of actual uncleaned denarii that I have recieved, they looked just like that. The crud was kinda wierd and softish. I am thinking, and I may be wrong, but it looks like an uncleaned silver.

Chris

edit: I knew I could find it...I posted one I found (Severus Alexander) and the cleaning process...looks like you may have found one of thos "silver found" claims.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=42289.0

C.
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:03:17 pm »
It could be one of those, or it could be just billon, in which case it's going to deteriorate greatly if you try to clean it.  You might try to scuff a small bit of the edge to determine what you're actually dealing with.

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 05:02:01 am »
I knew I could find it...I posted one I found (Severus Alexander) and the cleaning process...looks like you may have found one of thos "silver found" claims.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=42289.0

C.

I had a similar coin cleaned with lemon juice. At that time I didn't know any method for cleaning ancient coins except lemon juice. When I started the cleaning process the coin was unidentifiable (a light green). Unfortunately I exaggerated with the cleaning, using normal water and a brush. It was a mistake, quite normal for one of my first unclenead coins. I hope I'll not make the same mistake again. I posted some pictures with the coin, thought not from the start of the cleaning process.

In this case (Geta) what do you suggest? Should I try a soft cleaning with DW?

It could be one of those, or it could be just billon, in which case it's going to deteriorate greatly if you try to clean it.  You might try to scuff a small bit of the edge to determine what you're actually dealing with.

There's no need to make that, I see a spot on the edge like a shiny bronze color. In my opinion, thought I may be wrong, it seems to be a silvered, and not silver, coin. 

DevilKid

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 05:57:52 am »
Next time use only distilled water   ;)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 10:13:52 am »
Geta did not have any silvered coins. It is either a denarius or a fouree, more likely a denarius. What does the weigh?

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 11:12:38 am »
Since it bears on the issue of cleaning, it's worth iterating that both billon and fourre denarii as distinguished from silver denarii respond badly to cleaning as if they were actually silver; if your coin is showing a more or less bright bronzy spot,  then regardless of weight your coin's apter to be billon or fourre, at least what is left of it, minus the plate.

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 03:20:14 am »
Next time use only distilled water   ;)

I learned my lesson :)

Geta did not have any silvered coins. It is either a denarius or a fouree, more likely a denarius. What does the weigh?

I hope in a few days I'll be able to post a weight. I decided not to try any kind of cleaning until I have the weight. BTW an identification of a denarius "hide" by some dirt or a fouree has anything to do with the high/low preserved portrait or elements of the reverse

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 09:31:54 am »
If it's fourre or billon, what looks like corrosion or wear is just that; if it's encrusted silver, you might retrieve sharper detail.  But what helps with the silver will hurt with the billon or fourre.

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2008, 10:11:54 am »
Thanks for the tips and observations archivum.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 12:48:28 pm »
I'm sticking with it's is a straight silver denarius. And will be very nice when completed!  ;D

Chris

romeo

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 01:24:17 pm »
casata, ive just read the thread on the serverus alex.. you could well be right here! thats a incredible transformation! its made me want to go through my junk box again ! im sure i must of missed some silver lol ;D like scottys progress picture too. cool wish i knew how he did that!

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23:45 pm »
Is there any evidence that this coin is actually silver or is this just a guess?

romeo

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 02:44:55 pm »
no, but since that there dosent seem to be a AE with that reverse then it seems logical that its either silver or billion or fouree. :-\

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 02:55:50 pm »
There are a considerable amount of limes denarii (bronze coins) of this type in particular. If you zoom in at the surface of the coin it looks slightly porous like bronze and not dirt.

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 03:09:13 pm »
Every truly uncleaned denarius I have worked has that same type of "patina". It is kinda fuzzy and rough to the touch and has a reddish brown to black coloration and is generally the same thickness all over the coin (the edges might be thinner).  I figure it is just years and years of standard silver tarnish/"toning" that grow on a truly undisturbed coin. With both limes and billon, generally speaking anyway, they get an actual patina due to the higher copper/base metal content. At least in my experience. Of course I could be wrong.

Chris

romeo

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »
well only krazy will be able to tell us in the course of time if it is a silver, or a fouree or a billion with the silvering gone.
keep us informed krazy ;)

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 03:27:21 pm »
well only krazy will be able to tell us in the course of time if it is a silver, or a fouree or a billion with the silvering gone.
keep us informed krazy ;)

Yup!  :)

Chris

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2008, 06:04:58 am »
I will romeo :) In the meantime I made a few pictures (better), including one with the flan showing exactly what I'm dealing with: a fouree or billon. I'm a little bit frustrated by the fact it isn't a denarius, anyway I made a good deal.

Click on the image to zoom.

Dany

Offline krazy

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2009, 07:18:26 am »

Happy New Year to everyone! Finally I was able to measure the weight which is 2.78 g.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity