Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spanish?  (Read 714 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Spanish?
« on: November 18, 2008, 03:50:35 pm »
the obv is not the best pic but from the rev which appears to be a fairly decently detailed castle, would this be a Spanish  coin from the 1600s or so?
I looked at http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=70 for inspiration.  How would a coin from 1600 end up mixed up in an uncleaned lot from 300 or so AD?
Suggestions?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Vergilius

Re: Spanish?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 03:59:21 pm »
I have also two spanish medieval/modern castle coins, which I got in a late roman uncleaned lot, so it happens from time to time, either because the dealer put them their with purpose or because they are found together (which does´t seem to likely, at least in my case where the spanish ones was not covered in dirt)

Offline Will Hooton

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • SUSPIRIUM PUELLAM GULIELMUS THRAEX!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 04:04:25 pm »
How would a coin from 1600 end up mixed up in an uncleaned lot from 300 or so AD?

In Roman coin lots, I have found coins from the Crusader Kingdom of Sicily circa 1200's as well as a 1866 Russian kopeck! I suppose suppliers just chuck them in to make up the weight or something. Still, I like little surprises like that!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:10:48 pm »
I've found coins as early as 1920 something though it wasn't obvious and if it's just the occasional coin
I'd prefer that the did not remove it from the lot. It really had the same stubborn dirt at the coins that were 1600 years older.
Andreas Reich

lazooro

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 08:16:32 am »
Usually i get Turkish akche from the Balcans.

Dominic B

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:32:58 am »
I have found several of these in the same field where I have found over thirty Roman coins dating all the way from 200B.C to 300 A.D, it doesn't surprise me these have turned up in Roman lots at all, many times I have only seen the difference between these and my Roman finds once I start initial cleaning in oil.

Regards

Dom

Dominic B

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:35:38 am »
Maybe I should also add that my field is in southern Spain, and that the text visible in the photo is the partly legible "Hispaniarum", the old name for Spain, this coin dates around the 1600's indeed, some of them even have the year stamped on.

Regards again

Dom

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 07:33:20 am »
Well, the searchers collect every piece of round metal.
If it´s small and covered by dirt most only try to find out if there is gold or silver beneath the encrustations.

If you clean the side without the castle a little bit more and post the picture i will try to identify your coin.
Please add size and weight.

Regards

CzarMike

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:36 pm »
I have a few coins similar to this one with counter punches that have the date 1565-1555

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 03:46:55 pm »
Try to find them in my album:

http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=70

or post them so i can try to ID.

Regards

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 09:05:17 pm »
I'm scrubbing, scrubbing, soaking, scrubbing... Monday - Lunes!
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity