Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Provincial book....  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Jean Paul D

• Consul
  • Semper si recordare
Roman Provincial book....
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:22:22 am »
Hello everybody, i have around 30 coins of Viminacium (Moesia Superior), il really love thoses coins,
but i never found a reference book for that type of coin, anybody know were i can find one? (in english or french...even in spanish.....)

Thanks a lot
Jean-Paul
 :)

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Roman Provincial book....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:02:49 am »
Hello Jean-Paul,

1. Pick, AMNG I - for bronze

2. Martin - for bronze

3. Göbl, MIR - for the silver coins

The first two are listed in Dane´s ("Helvetica") list: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/moesia.xls .

Wildwinds (online) : http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/moesia/viminacium/i.html

Moushmof (online): http://www.wildwinds.com/moushmov/viminacium.html

I add what i can get to my Viminacium database: http://www.arminius-numismatics.com/coppermine1414/cpg1414/thumbnails.php?album=27

Regards

Offline Markus

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:21:02 am »
Not to forget (if you can read Bulgarian):
Jekov/Hristov, The Coinage of Moesia Superior: Viminacium, 2004

Markus

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:46 am »
SNG Bulgaria II. Dacia-Moesia Superior
B. Boric-Brescovic. Coins of the Colony of Viminacium. (a virtual die study, in Bulgarian and English)

Barry Murphy

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:21 am »
First off, I'm assuming you are talking about the provincial bronze series...

Well, just to warn you, if you are thinking of specializing, expect to shell out the big bucks for quality references on these coins.  There simply aren't any good comprehensive english language references for these coins (although there are some decent/obscure english texts).  Currently I'm working on an english language catalog that has major updates over all other known references (right now I'm about 80% done independently verifying the coins in Martin's catalog).  So far I've got somewhere between 2 and 3 dozen new coins that haven't been included in any prior reference to my knowledge (this may change if SNG Slovenia is ever completed).  Here is my list of references and comments:

1- Pick / AMNG.  This 100 year old catalog is decent and it forms the backbone of most contemporary catalogs on Viminacium coins.  That said it is difficult to get a copy of and it is very expensive (several hundred USD typicaly) not to mention it is entirely in German (and not very user freindly compared to other german texts) and the plates are poor IMHO.  If you are a completionist, this text is fine, but you don't need it at all thanks to ...

2- Martin.  I forget the exact name but it roughly translates from German as "The Provincial coins of Moesia Superior and Dacia".  Not only does Martin's text (published in the early 1990's) have the most complete and scholarly catalog, but it is also the most user friendly too.  If you were only going to buy one book on Viminacium's coins, Martin would be your one book (for now anyhow).  The down side is two fold.  First it is entirely in German (although an english speaker can easily figure out the listings without knowing a lick of german).  Second it is becoming hard to find and it is expensive ($150 to $175 usd or so).  The German publisher still has some copies available for sale.  Another less scrupulous method of obtaining Martin's catalog would be to purchase one of the pirated versions off ebay (it is a book written by another guy from Serbia, but he 100% plagarized Martin's catalog).  For anyone who buys the original Martin text, the essays on the coins make for a good read as well.  I've translated them all by hand and would be willing to share.  Another nice thing about Martin is that he cross references each coin listed to Pick's cite and also to various museums or collections that house the given coin.  For now this book is the Viminacium equivalent of RIC.

3-Boric-Brescovic.  This is probably my third favorite text.  This book has a few articles written in part in english, and it has great plates.  The downside is that the author was unaware of several variants in the collection, so the listings in the catalog aren't always accurate (you have to go to the plates to figure out if your coin was realy published here or not).  Additionaly, the catalog is a bit clunky to use.  All in all, I love this book, but its not as usefull as either Jekov or Martin.  Good luck finding this book.  I've only seen this book sold at a rate of about 1 or 2 per year.  For those who are realy obsesive like myself, there is a follow up article written by the author in the late 1980's.  That article is about 90 pages long and written entirely in Serbian.  I'm still working to translate it, but it adds a several new coins to the collection published in the book.  The price of this book varies.  I've seen them go for over 100$ and for less then 20.  It is highly prized by collectors though.

4-Jekov/Hristov is probably the easiest to find and one of the cheapest texts to buy.  You can find it on online as we speak for around 25 bucks.  It is written entirely in Bulgarian but like Martin, the catalog is user friendly enough to figure out without knowning how to read it.  There are some minor errors though and the binding doesn't hold up well over repeated use (I actualy make copies of all my books and then put the copies in a binder for my study use).  If Martin is the Viminacium equivalent of RIC then Jekov is the Viminacium equivalent of Van Meter.  Its a great buy at a great value.  I haven't gotten around to translating this book because I can't find a good working Bulgarian dictionary.  One final bonus for Jekov is that it cross references each coin's citation to Moushmov and Boric-Brescovic.

5- Varbanov Vol 1.  Frankly, I dislike Varbanov 1 alot.  The only reason to use it is because virtualy every auction house is too lazy to obtain a better reference (Martin) for these coins.  I've found over 60 separate errors in Varbanov's Viminacium text.  Another problem is that it is missing ALOT of material too.  As expensive as this text is, you would be better off buying the comparably priced Boric-Brescovic or Martin.  The plus side?  Its easy to find and its in english.

6-SNG Germany.  This is a tougher text to find and its sorta pricey (80 to 100 bucks) for as small as it is.  There isn't alot of material and there aren't any realy special variants listed.  Its nice to have for the occasional auction that only provides this as a cite, but the organization is somewhat out of date and clunky.

7- SNG Hungary (I think this is what Barry meant instead of Bulgaria) - This is probably the second best SNG volume on these coins.  Its in english!  It has alot of material and some interesting new specimens.  The plates are gorgeous too.  Besides the catalog though there is no extra content (typical of the SNGs).  This text borders on the obscenely rare and you'll have to shell out 150 to 200 bucks in all likelihood to get this book.  At that price you'd be better off getting Martin or SNG Slovenia.

8- SNG Slovenia pt 1.  The downside is that this collection isn't complete yet and they haven't published volume 2.  It sells for around 200 bucks plus and it is becoming quite hard to find aside from the publisher.  I don't have a copy of this text yet myself, but it is my understanding that the coins in this SNG are already listed in Martin because it covers a private collection that Martin studied when he wrote his catalog.

9- Moushmov.  Its online at wildwinds and it is free.  It is also about as good a reference as Varbanov (with slightly fewer errors, but far fewer coins).  For a free catalog of these coins you are better off doing a search on www.coinarchives.com or on www.tantaluscoins.com

I hope that helped!  The moral of the story is:  buy yourself Jekov & Martin and you'll be fine until you can buy my book!  ;)

Cheers!

Scott S.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »
SNG Hungary, not Bulgaria. Thanks Scott. I shouldn't post replies at 3AM.

Barry

Offline scottatlaw

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 12:45:57 pm »
Actualy Barry, I've seen that exact same Bulgaria/Hungary error before with regards to this text.  I don't remember where I picked it up, but for the longest time I was looking for the Bulgarian text that just didn't exist!  :)

Scott S.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity