Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero Sestertius  (Read 1048 times)

sid

Nero Sestertius
« on: March 03, 2007, 10:21:52 am »
Trying to nail down a few stubborn coins.
Here's a sestertius, 31mm, 14.3g. It looks much better in hand, but not a lot more detail. Obverse looks like Nero, with an AG counterstamp and a second deep unrecognizable counterstamp. Reverse just has a standing figure, right of center. The only match I can come up with is ADLOCVT COH. Can anyone confirm, or point me to any other possible matches?

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Nero Sestertius
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 04:02:45 pm »
Looks like a Flavian coin to me, not Nero.

Frans

Offline postvmvs

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 04:18:53 pm »
Looks to me like a sestertius of Claudius, countermarked AV on the neck, perhaps Spes on the reverse.
--postvmvs
(Not to be confused with 'postumus' spelled with 'u')

sid

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 04:40:01 pm »
Okay, I'll try for a better photo, so we can hopefully figure out who it is first.
My Nero guess was based on someone heavyset, with almost no chin and not much of a nose either. But I've always been terrible at faces, so I'll go with whatever the experts say.

Offline Frans Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 05:04:08 pm »
It certainly looks like a 'barbaric' sestertius of Claudius which was retarriffed at a dupondius, as the countermark reads: DV(pondius); well seen Postumus!

Frans

sid

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 05:24:33 pm »
I think you've nailed it. Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity