Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend  (Read 259 times)

Offline Michael van der Lee

• Praetorian
Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend
« on: March 11, 2023, 08:17:26 am »
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help so far ! Question on the meaning of the reverse legend. My legend is (also compared to other coins) probably something like ΤΥΑΝΕΩΝ ΤON Π  THC ΙΕΡΑC ΑCΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ with abbreviations. Now TYANEON means something like 'By the Tyanians / Of the people of Tyana' that's simple. The last part 'ΙΕΡΑC ΑCΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ' I understand to mean something like 'Sacred, Inviolable & Autonomous'. But what do the words in between mean ? The 'ΤON Π  THC' part. I would really like to know. THANKS in advance !

PS : Enclosed again the pics of the coin. Hadrian really came out nice under my lamp .. :)

PS2 : Obverse legend has him quoting to be '... Trajan Hadrian ...' which I find remarkable. After 21 years of rule you still need to legitimize yourself by your predecessor ...

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Another Tyana Question <sigh> on Reverse Legend
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 11:16:00 am »

Barclay V. Head gives in Historia Nvmorvm full reading on p. 753:

ΤΥΑΝΕΩΝ ΤΩΝ ΠΡΟΣ ΤΑΥΡΩ ΙΕΡΑΣ ΑΣΥΛΟΥ ΑΥΤΟΝΟΜΟΥ.

So your unclear abbreviations translate " at (river) Tauros ".

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 12:11:53 pm »
Thanks Pekka !!

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 12:16:11 pm »
... So your unclear abbreviations translate " at (river) Tauros ". ...
Usually it is translated as "near the Tauros mountains", there is no river Tauros.

Regards

Altamura

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 09:50:57 am »
Thanks Altamura !

All coins are guaranteed for eternity