Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 503 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
Forum purchase o' the day
« on: January 26, 2023, 09:39:14 pm »
Wanted to share my latest from Forum. My collecting interest is Roman, and this coin is from Cilicia. It however is very tied in with one of main collecting interests, the Imperator era. I've been trying to add to that collection. Most of the lesser remaining Roman imperators are not in my budget -- Labienus and the like aren't going to happen -- so I've started trying to get some of their allied client kings. I earlier got a Deiotarus (also from Forum) and am waiting for a Juba from elsewhere. Here is a Tarcondimotus.

Tarcondimotus I (or Tarkondimotos) was a Roman client king of Cilicia. He supported Pompey in the civil war against Caesar, but when Pompey lost, he was pardoned by Caesar and remained in power. He might also have received Roman citizenship. After Caesar was assassinated, Tarcondimotus allied first with Cassius and then Mark Antony. He adopted the royal epithet Philantonios (Antony-lover) as an expression of his devotion to Antony. He was killed at the battle of Actium in 31 BC.

Tarcondimotus Bronze AE 22, Cilicia, Hierapolis-Castabala (Kirmitli, Turkey) mint. 8.591g, 21.5mm, die axis 90o,. as king in Eastern Cilicia, c. 39 - 31 B.C.; obverse diademed head right; reverse Zeus Nikephoros enthroned left, himation around hips and legs with end over shoulder, Nike offering wreath extended in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, BAΣIΛEΩΣ downward on right, TAPKON∆IMO/TOY in two downward lines on left, ΦIΛANTΩNIOY in exergue. RPC I 3871; SNG BnF 1913; SNG Levante 1258; BMC Lycaonia p. 237, 1 ff. A FORUM coin.

My Galleryhttps://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=40464

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2023, 10:03:27 pm »
That's quite the portrait!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2023, 10:12:39 pm »
Beautiful coin. I personally like Provincials, especially due to the wide number of mints.

Virgil

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 02:11:42 am »
Nice find …👍🤗

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2023, 08:48:38 am »
It is a great portrait and a great Jupiter on the reverse.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2023, 10:55:43 am »
Thanks for your order lawrence c. I love the story behind the coin and the man.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity