Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help Identify Mystery coin  (Read 332 times)

Offline Alan M3

• Praetorian
Help Identify Mystery coin
« on: January 26, 2023, 05:58:21 pm »
No clue what this is.

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
Re: Help Identify Mystery coin
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2023, 06:24:59 pm »
Not everybody is familiar with the size of US coins. Is that about the size of a Swiss 5 Rappen piece, or smaller than a Füfliber or the size of 5 Kopeks.... ? See what I mean ? Please give the size in mm (or even inches if you can't work it out) for any coins you need help with.

Also, taking the photo vertically to the coin instead of at an angle (unless the US mint is now producing oval coins) is more condusive to getting assistance, as any legends would then be more visible.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 09:30:59 pm »
Hi, Alan.  Like this, I think.

UMAYYAD Dynasty: Anonymous, early 8th century, AE fals (Their example is 4.78gm.)
Obv: 1st half of Kalima Inscription below b'smalla, [ بسم الله لا إله إلى الله واحد ] "bism Allah /
La ilah illa / Allah wahadu” in three lines. (In the name of Allah, There is no god but
Allah, He is one).
Rev:  2nd half of Kalima Inscription, محمد رسول الله "Mohammed rasul Allah" around
star.  (Mohammad is the messenger of Allah).

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=1277791

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2023, 10:35:52 pm »
Hi v-drome,

I like that coin you presented. Yet, when I saw this object presented in the first post, it seems as it is oval (could be the angle of photography, but the cent isn't as much an oval as that coin" is) and the reverse looks essentially blank. I thought immediately it was a seal, but don't know enough about those. The plant on yours is similar, for sure, although my first thought was a pot leaf. LOL, that may tell you where my head is. But, the absence of anything on the reverse is what is really confusing me.

Virgil

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:50:01 am »
Hi Virgil.  Not likely to be a seal, since it does not look like lead and there is no straight channel.  I have seen a lot of thin Islamic coins that were worn almost smooth on one or both sides.  It sure looks like the object has been through a lot.  The blank side may have been exposed to running water, while the more legible side was protected, but it is hard to say.  I am pretty sure I can make out some of the Arabic letters around the edge of the better side.  I also have a lot of U.S. coins found on the beach that were almost completely effaced in less than 20 years!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 01:23:58 am »
I completely trust your much better knowledge here,

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity