Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Fortune or Fake  (Read 609 times)

Digger

Fortune or Fake
« on: January 25, 2023, 03:41:57 pm »
Iwould like to hear your honest opinions please.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
Re: Fortune or Fake
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2023, 04:15:08 pm »
What concerns you about the coin?
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Digger

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2023, 11:50:29 pm »
6000 members , and not one with an opinion on such a coin.

R.I.P.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 12:06:27 am »
Not really sure what your point is. People don't know about every coin someone may post. Plus, you really didn't ask for anything, but an obscure title for your post. Maybe send to to NCG or something if you are that concerned and pay for it. Or someone else that does authentications for a fee.

Honestly, you comment is a bit out of line, although I don't care. I know how to scroll on by, but your attitude kind of made me respond. And your other posts have been generally good. Maybe someone will respond to your specific post here and satisfy you. But, as they say, you can't always get what you want, but you do usually get what you need. I guess my point is that this is not how you get responses, by insulting everyone on a site. I think there are places you can post this and get a response, although you will never know if the responses are accurate. I will not mention those sites here.

Not to mention you got one question from a member you didn't't answer. There is a reason this is the only coin forum I am on. it is hands down the best, even if we can't address every single post. I have posted stuff that gets no responses and more that do. If no response, I am fine with it. I get that there is no answer to every question

Sorry, this one chapped my ass. LOL

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 12:08:27 am »
There's probably less than a handful of people on this forum who's opinion means anything when it comes to a coin like this.  Most people here won't comment if they don't know.   I'm one who doesn't know, so take this as you will...

The portraits seem to run from very high quality to very clumsy.  This portrait   is odd compared with the ones I briefly looked at on acsearch.  Have you tried looking for a die match?  If it's your coin, why do you suspect it?  Or why do you think it's authentic? 

EDIT: Posted at the same time as Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 12:38:08 am »
Jay, you were much more diplomatic than I. LOL. Well done.

Virgil

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 11:36:36 am »
You'd have to specialize in Carausius I think to have an opinion.  Plus, as you said, the title and lack of information doesn't help.  Unfortunately my mod permissions don't allow me to move it to the Fake section.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 03:24:39 pm »
Unfortunately my mod permissions don't allow me to move it to the Fake section.

Hi Jay,

Should I move it to the Fake section?

Is it definitely a fake?

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 03:48:28 pm »
I doesn't matter if it is a fake or not.  By simply asking for opinions it belongs there and will probably get more views.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 06:20:46 pm »
Hi,
Without having the coin in hand it can be hard to be 100% certain, I've seen some very good casts with very little seam. However, on the face of it your coin is an authentic Carausius from the early part of his reign before mint signatures were applied. It looks to retain significant silvering, unusual but not unknown for this part of the reign. I am assuming that the silver appearance isn't a later application.

Without directly discussing value the quality of the coin's preservation and silvering are in its favour. What is a shame is that it is the most abundant reverse.

A nice specimen nevertheless.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:41:35 pm »
If one wants a reply, it is good to conform to the rules.  Weight?  Why do you question the coin?  That is all we require. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity