Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vabalathus COTD  (Read 567 times)

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Vabalathus COTD
« on: January 16, 2023, 01:08:25 pm »
Nice Vabalathus COTD today:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=179879

109 Vabalathus (271-272 A.D.), T-3113 (Estiot), RIC V-I 381, Antioch, AE-Antoninianus, IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, -/-//H, Bust-D2, Bust of Aurelianus right, #01
avers: VABALATHVS V C R IM D R, Bust, laureate and diademed, cuirassed and draped with paludamentum, seen from rear, right. (D2 diademed).
reverse: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, Radiated and cuirassed bust of Aurelianus right. (B1).
exergue: -/-//H, diameter: 20,5-21,3mm, weight: 2,81g, axes: 11h,
mint: Antioch, off-8, iss-1, date: 270-272 A.D., ref: RIC V-I 381, T-3113 (Estiot),

Regards

Joe /Q.

All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Vabalathus COTD
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 01:40:11 am »
Very nice

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:56:13 am »
Thank you  +++
My Gallery

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 07:24:33 am »

A fabulous coin Joe, representing a classic "what would have happened if?" in history. You can see the style is more Persian than Roman. If the Palmyrene Empire had defeated Rome and established itself as a power in late antiquity, there is no telling what the modern world would like now.

Alternatively, if they had remained as allies perhaps Persia could never have been a threat to Rome again.  Your coin issued by Zenobia in the name of her son Vaballathus's indicates they were initially supporters of Rome by acknowledging Aurelian as emperor.

Just on a side note, the Osprey military history series did a cracking good book dealing with Palmyrene Empire. It is still easy to pick up and has a wonderful cover picture of what Vaballathus's father Odaenathus, and Mother Zenobia may have looked like, based on the surviving evidence.

Best regards,

Steve

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2023, 09:58:48 am »
Dear Steve,
I always enjoy reading your enjoyable comments on individual posts.
They almost exude background knowledge and a love of ancient art.

Regards

Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity