Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is my Trajan Virtus coin a fake?  (Read 682 times)

Offline Drew H

• Legionary
Is my Trajan Virtus coin a fake?
« on: January 13, 2023, 01:55:05 am »
I recently purchased a Trajan Denarius on EBay from ancient_treasures and I started looking at it and noticed that most Trajan Virtus coins have Virtus’s left foot standing on a helmet.  My coin does not.

Thanks all for your time!  New to ancient coins and plan on starting my collection with the five good emperors. Lots of fun so far have Hadrian and now hopefully Trajan.

-Drew

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Re: Is my Trajan Virtus coin a fake?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2023, 04:59:45 am »
My coin does not.
Everything looks ok. Here's your helmet:

Offline Drew H

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2023, 11:01:00 pm »
Here’s a pic of the edge, not sure how I feel about it.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2023, 12:47:23 am »
That's not a casting seam...your coin looks fine.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2023, 05:49:09 am »
You have absolutely nothing to worry about. That’s a completely genuine Trajan denarius. You can search the Forum’s Coins and Antiquities Consignment Shop to compare all the genuine examples of the Trajan Virtus denarii. Just scroll to ALL in the Status bar to include all those that are sold in the search in case there are none available in stock to compare yours with. The Five Good Emperors collection is an excellent and affordable way for a beginner to kick-start their Roman collection.

Widely considered the best rulers of ancient Rome, the distinguished quintet - Nerva, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius, and Marcus Aurelius - brought prosperity to the Empire, taking Roman civilization to its apex. All the denarii in the graphic are my own.

Offline Drew H

• Legionary
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2023, 08:50:32 am »
Thanks for the input!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2023, 10:50:01 pm »
Although I never authenticate a coin from a photo, I see nothing suspicious and would be very surprised to learn it is not authentic.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity