Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Teaching the Children About Coins  (Read 449 times)

Offline manpace

• Caesar
Teaching the Children About Coins
« on: December 15, 2022, 05:02:18 pm »
I was invited to my 6th grade son's history class to teach them about ancient coins.  I gave them each an ancient Roman coin with the emperor identified on each one.

As an object lesson I had the kids design a coin that their school could use as currency, and we talked through the familiar elements of Roman coins.  An artist from among them drew it up.  (We didn't get as far as the inscription.)

They wanted the front to show their principal dressed up with sword and armor.  Fitting because the school mascot is a knight.
The back shows a fire-breathing dragon standing on a pile of books (because knowledge!). 

The coin type is SWORDARIAN.

It was a lot of fun and they were very excited to have a piece of ancient history of their very own.  And a great way to get rid of lots of unneeded coins.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Teaching the Children About Coins
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 05:18:51 pm »
Awesome!

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 07:04:34 pm »
I just love this. I have never done this kind of thing with kids, but have thought about it. What a wonderful way of getting them involved. There are companies that make "challenge coins" and medals that are not super expensive. You could get that design done and get a batch made (including color if you want) and the coins are quite good quality. After seeing this, I may try to get myself invited to a grandkid's classes. Bravo to you.

Virgil

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2022, 10:45:01 pm »

Oh wow, just wow! Good for you Virgil for finding a great way share your time. 

Perhaps the principal’s name was [St.] George ?

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 11:19:28 pm »
It wasn't me, I was just commenting on how great it was. it was Manpace who did the class.

Virgil

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2022, 11:24:29 pm »

Manpace— kudos to you! Sorry for my mistake.

Virgil— thanks for correcting me.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2022, 12:23:40 pm »
Thanks everyone

@Virgil - I just emailed my boy's history teacher with the offer.  She was very glad for someone to come in to show & tell, and the other history class across the hall came in as well and I had 58 kids!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity