Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reminders about our nature.  (Read 602 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Reminders about our nature.
« on: December 03, 2022, 05:05:25 pm »
The photo below is from Suetonius’ The Lives of the Twelve Caesars. In the context used, “last” means “ultimate.”  I marvel at how frequently modern mankind is reflected in ancient writings. We haven’t changed much in 2000 years and I don’t think we will in another 2000 or more. Just musing on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Reminders about our nature.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 05:15:41 pm »
Sadly, I am sure that if you search hard enough you can also find a Roman-era quote to the effect that "you should support any honourees, characterless moron as long as they will then support the policies you want"......

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PMah

• Caesar
  • Qui risus classe devicta multas ipsi lacrimas...
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 11:41:58 pm »
Indeed, if one takes a superficial reading of classical literature, one can find support for nearly any position one wishes to assert. 
And if one takes a deep and close reading of classical literature, one can find an understanding of what the people who were able to publish their thoughts wanted to write about 2000+ years ago.
Be Well, Stay Healthy, Support your Local Numismatic Club

Paul 

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 07:31:25 am »

I reckon so.

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 12:21:12 pm »
read literally, it almost sounds like the magistrates were implementing something akin to the modern Chinese social credit system to incentivize the Roman mob from becoming unruly. 

My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity