Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: SC 285  (Read 910 times)

Online Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
SC 285
« on: September 10, 2022, 12:13:55 pm »
Does anyone have an image of SC 285--it is a bronze unit with a butting bull on obverse and anchor on reverse, attributed to Seleukos I Nikator.  Preferably one I can publish! HGC 9, 90.

Nick

Online Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: SC 285
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 12:40:31 pm »
Does anyone have an image of SC 285--it is a bronze unit with a butting bull on obverse and anchor on reverse, attributed to Seleukos I Nikator.  Preferably one I can publish! HGC 9, 90.

Nick

I'm in touch now with one of the author's of SC so I should have this one soon!

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 06:50:37 am »
That Hoover's HGC 9 #90 doesn't have a photo of the coin isn't a shock.  However, that Seleucid Coins draws a blank (on the photo) is a surprise.  There is no photo for SC 285 on SCO or in their print hardcopy.  And I'm not finding any reference to Newell, anything in SNG Spaer, or anything on acsearch.info. Another surprise.  That's some kind of rarity.

Online Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 07:10:13 am »
It wasn’t on the ANS database of Seleukid coins either! However, I was able to find SC 284 in Brian Kritt’s  2015 book New Discoveries.  He reproduces a photo from P. Bernard’s 1985 reports on Ai Khanoum. Here it is attached.  What interests me is that this mint used both regular bull and man-faced bull iconography, and that changeover is found at other mints.

Online Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 07:11:47 am »
The difference between 284 and 285 is that 284 is anepigraphic, just like the man-faced bull variety (SC 283a). So 284 turned out to be even better!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity