Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The End of an Era - Highlights from 34 years of collecting  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: The End of an Era - Highlights from 34 years of collecting
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2022, 04:48:53 am »
Thunderbirds are Go!  😄

What attracted me to ancient coins was the beautiful artistic  renditions on Hellenic coins, those from what's known as "The Period of Finest Art'. That is why it consider myself a collector rather than a numismatist. It is still that way after 34 years. I believe this high artistic expression deteriorated after Alexander, and political motivations took the place of art. In general the portraiture became almost cokkie-cutter and the reverses are busy and cluttered, in my opinion.
This coin is a fine example of that, although the portrait is wonderful.

~ Peter

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2022, 09:36:50 pm »
I tend to agree with you on the artistry of coins, it is one reason I don't have as many Roman coins. However, there are some Roman Republican coins I absolutely love for their artistry (virtually no Imperial coins fall into this category for me). I appreciate the historic aspects of all coins and I have many, but for sheer artistry, it is hard to get past the Greeks pre-Alexander, as you say. I love Alexander, but I don't want a bunch of coins that all look very similar and aren't overly beautiful in the first place. That said, not all the Greeks are particularly beautiful, but those that are are the height of art in coins.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2022, 11:51:47 am »
Roman coins are historically interesting, with so much information packed into a tiny space, and some of the larger bronzes can be quite beautiful. But if I were to collect Romans it would Republican. Some of those are truly stunning (I'm thinking particularly about the series of Muse reverses by Quintus Pomponius Musa). Early on my wife bought me this coin thinking it was Greek...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=50936

~ Peter

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2022, 05:52:14 pm »
Your wife made a good choice. One thing that blows me away with many Republican coins is the unbelievable detail and fineness of both obverses and reverses, particularly some of the Mercury portraits. Plus, so many of the reverses are amazing, both the themes and the quadriga variations. These are a case of coins where I almost always prefer the silver ones (the majority of my collection is bronze). I will never be a huge Republican collector mainly because of budget constraints, but there are a couple I am actively pursuing and am willing to go over my budget on. Those Rome mint folks had it so dialed in.

Virgil

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2022, 06:31:53 pm »
Republican coins have more variety of style than Imperials, it seems. One of the reasons I got out of collecting US coins was that I got tired of just filling holes in an album. So how did I end up with all these bloody 'Boy on a Dolphin' coins?  lol

~ Peter

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2022, 03:49:12 pm »
Speaking of dolphin riders, it seems about time I posted some coins from Taras.

This is one I got about 12 years ago, and while it isn't the prettiest offering from that polis it did (and still does) intrigue me with its symbolism, and the fact that it was right at the edge of a major shift in Tarentine coinage.
Rather than describe all of the relevant details here you can read them in my write-up (which must be pretty good, since it's been 'borrower's least 3 times that I am aware of,, once commercially!) here...

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=82071

~ Peter

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2022, 07:53:57 pm »
These are beautiful coins, the historical context makes them even more special. I was not aware of this before reading your write-up.

Virgil

Offline emcee

• Legionary
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 05:29:56 pm »
Except for retiring you don't mention why you are disposing of parts of your collection.  Without intending to be cold, if you plan on leaving some of your collection to your heirs, as a tax consultant (who incidentally collects coins) I suggest you check out the accounting concept of "stepped up basis" which will provide a tax break on the sale of inherited items. 

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2022, 09:43:30 pm »
I must have missed this thread on the first go-around! :( 

Congrats on your retirement Enodia!  I'm with the others in suggesting you not quit entirely, and merely moderate your acquisition instincts :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

All coins are guaranteed for eternity