Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lead Tessera Zeus-Serapis Caesarea Maritima Mystery  (Read 679 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Lead Tessera Zeus-Serapis Caesarea Maritima Mystery
« on: July 03, 2022, 09:51:25 pm »
Hi, all.  Here is another very tiny lead tessera that has me stumped.  The obverse has a male figure to right.  At first I thought maybe Helios, but there are no rays and the figure appears to be clothed and bearded.  The gesture strongly suggests Serapis, but the modius is either missing or off-flan.  Bonner has some examples of amulets with Zeus and Zeus-Serapis wearing himation, so this is what I have gone with.  The reverse is half off-flan and much more obscure.  I am thinking maybe an architectural type with altar, or tree, or maybe throne, crown, or even some type of couch/bed.  I am not even sure which orientation is correct.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi

BCC LT94
Lead Tessera
Caesarea Maritima
1st - 3rd century CE
Obv: Zeus-Serapis advancing left, clothed,
raising hand in gesture, (or holding object?),
(staff in left hand?), and (eagle at feet?).
Rev:  Uncertain type, partially off-flan, perhaps
throne, or crown, or couch, or temple with altar???
PB 9 x 8 x 1.5mm. 0.51gm. Axis: ?
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1976.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Lead Tessera Zeus-Serapis Caesarea Maritima Mystery
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 11:05:46 am »
A person with a spear or a long sceptre standing before an altar (on the left)? Roughly like on the reverse of this coin: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=9504478

Regards

Altamura

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 12:47:45 pm »
Thank you Altamura.  I think that is the best explanation so far.  I had resisted the idea of a human figure because it was so skinny, but the tessera is only 8mm so maybe I was expecting too much!

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:34 pm »
Hi v-d,

Thanks for referring me to this topic. I never would have seen it.

I think Alta is referring to the obverse, not the reverse. I want to clear up any potential confusion.

Regarding the reverse, the object has a bend in it, and streamers hanging down on each side. This reminds me of a filleted cornucopia. Of course, your guesses may also be correct. Unfortunately, this object is so abstract/stylized that we may never figure out what it is.

I don't know if you looked at my website, but I have a lead tessera from Caesarea Maritima. On the obverse of my example, there is an abstract/stylized object with a design similar to the reverse of your example (basically what appears to be a triangle).

Here is a link (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_judaea_pt06.htm

Meepzorp

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 08:18:06 pm »
Hi, Meepzorp.  Nice tessera.  I have a paper with drawings from the Hamburger Collection of tesserae from Caesarea, and I will look in there to see if there is anything similar to yours.  I have a friend in Israel who is working on another very large collection of these and it will be most interesting to see them when they are published.  The link Altamura provided shows Salus in a similar stance to the lines on my reverse, but unless we come up with another example from the same die it will be hard to be certain.  My tessera is so small and worn that if the light is coming from certain angles there doesn't appear to be anything at all!  Thanks, again, and yes I look at your website all the time for references!

Best regards, Jimi

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 02:17:10 am »
P.S. Here is a link to my tessera gallery if anyone is interested.  I have a few more to add but most of the leftovers are in pretty rough shape.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5157

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 09:01:04 am »
The link Altamura provided shows Salus in a similar stance to the lines on my reverse, but unless we come up with another example from the same die it will be hard to be certain.  My tessera is so small and worn that if the light is coming from certain angles there doesn't appear to be anything at all...

Hi v-d,

After studying it for a while, I see what you and Alta are referring to. The reverse figure is certainly highly abstract/stylized.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 09:06:09 am »
Hi v-d,

You have an amazing and comprehensive collection of tesserae. I never knew that so many different types existed.

I purchased mine as a "curiosity piece". It was something "different" to add to my collection.

Meepzorp

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 10:09:55 pm »
Hi v-drome,
We’re these all finds that you or someone you know made?  These are very cool, but a real rarity to see in the trade!
Kevin

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2022, 12:56:37 am »
Hi, Kevin.  All of these tesserae were found by me and my family when I was growing up near Caesarea in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  Prior to 1978, it was legal to collect surface finds from the dunes and beaches in Israel, and it was common after windstorms to see entire families out on the sand looking for coins and artifacts.  In 2008 the law was changed once again to clarify ownership of these early finds, with the expectation that it would encourage the publication of these private collections, some of which were very extensive.  Having access to the materials and experts here at Forum Ancient Coins has been immensely helpful to me in trying to fulfill this, in my opinion, sacred obligation.  The collection is all the more significant in that all the finds are of a known provenance at a single historically important site.  These very tiny, not so glamorous lead pieces have been mostly overlooked, but I know of at least one other very large assemblage of them in Israel, and I am hoping eventually to see our efforts combined into a scholarly report that should be very interesting!

Offline Aleph

• Consul
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 01:34:40 pm »
Thanks, Jimi.  That is incredible that these were all found walking the beach!  I very much look forward to the publication of yours and other private collections.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity