Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inscription from Antiochia ad Pisidiam (Septimius Severus & Men)  (Read 740 times)

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
  • Veritas? Quid est veritas?
    • Timestheus Collection
Hello...

last weeks i get this coin from Antiochia ad Pisidiam with Septimius Severus and the God Mēn Askaenos.

Septimius Severus * AE Bronze Antiochia 193/211 n.Chr. SNG 1117 * Av: IMP CAES L SEPT SEV PER * Rv: ANTIOCH MENCIS * Mēn Askaenos

At translate the reverse legend "ANTIOCH MENCIS" i learn the lesson, that the cutter in Antiochia sometimes a bit strange in the design of the inscriptions.
Sometimes they write for the God Men "Mensis", sometimes they will write "Mencic", sometimes "Mencis" - like my coin. Ok. Understand.

Now yesterday i get a new coin from Antiochia ad Pisidiam with Septimius Severus and the God Mēn.

Septimius Severus * AE Bronze Antiochia 193/211 n.Chr. Krzyzanowska 46 * Av: L SEPT SEV AVG IMP P * Rv: COL MIN ANTIOC * Mēn Askaenos

So here are my questions - if you could please help me, was fine :)

a) Avers Inscription: L SEPT SEV AVG IMP P
So the cutter write "L SEPT SEV AVG IMP" and then suddenly they think - oh no i forgett the P(ertinax) and put it to the end? :D
Ok, seriously. The last P is for Pertinax - right? Lucius Septimius Severus Augustus Imperator Pertinax ...? I think thats correct - isn`t it?

b) Reverse Inscription: COL MIN ANTIOC
Whats that? A new description for the God Men? MIN? Colonia Minsis Antiochia? Men = Mensis = Mencis ... all ok - but MIN?
Whats about this MIN? Anyone know about this correct translation?

Thanks for helping!

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Inscription from Antiochia ad Pisidiam (Septimius Severus & Men)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2022, 06:44:50 am »
You coin is listed on wildwinds (sold 2010)

https://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/pisidia/antioch/t.html

scroll down to Krzy XXV-46

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2022, 09:09:19 am »
Thanks! But i know about thuis link... and i would not answer my question :D .... what means MIN ..? I think another more description like Mensis or Mencis or Mencic.
But all MEN description i know starts with an "Me....." - no one with an "Mi..." so i am confused.

Offline Timestheus

• Praetorian
    • Timestheus Collection
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 01:43:31 pm »
Ok, if anyone read this a long time ago :)

God Men = MHN = MIN

The H sounds like I in the late roman period. Its the same like MENCis and MENSis  on the coins.
There is no mistake of the money makers.

I the later roman period C sound likle S and you can use C for S.
Same for the original description of Men (MHN) sounds like MIN.

Thats all.

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 04:42:52 pm »
I think you shouldn't be overly concerned about spelling or grammar at Pisidian Antioch.  Their celators were notoriously illiterate, there are more legend variations at this mint, including backwards letters and invented spellings, than any other mint I can think of.  I find that it is more common to NOT find a die listed in Kryzanowska than to actually find one, and it's the primary reference!

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

All coins are guaranteed for eternity