Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Some of my recently acquired Owls  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Some of my recently acquired Owls
« on: April 25, 2022, 05:34:32 pm »
Who does not love Owls
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
Re: Some of my recently acquired Owls
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2022, 05:35:20 pm »
more owls
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2022, 06:03:52 pm »
Very nice coins, one and all.

Here's some friends for your owls, feel free to join them!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=65672.0

- Peter

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:53:49 pm »
Those are beautiful coins!

Please educate me, as I am still fairly new to ancient coins, what makes for a good owl? Obviously, a well struck coin in a good state of preservation, but what else? Is it a full crest on the helmet? A complete nose? The owl has to be cute?

Thanks in advance! I hope the question is not too stupid.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 07:47:29 am »
A full crest and nose is quite rare and will command a much higher price. If it is a choice between the crest and nose, would rather have a full nose.

The second coin is my favorite here, even with the test cut.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 12:18:46 pm »
Hi AW,

Nice coins! :)

Meepzorp

Offline Jack

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2022, 08:53:41 am »
Thanks, Joe!

The second coin, with the test cut, caught my eye too--hence my question.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 02:03:30 am »
Owl coins are beautiful. Yet, they seem to be both the most common coins there are and the most expensive overall. I don't own one and probably never will. Every auction has dozens. I guess that defines supply and demand in pricing. As for test cuts, in most cases I actually like them because it means the coin was used by real people doing real commerce. One thing I have seen is that defined hair in Athena's bangs is pretty desirable. But, these have to be the most expensive common coins out there.

Maybe one day, but so many others I would like more, such as a Aizanoi coin I just ordered for way less than any owl I have ever seen. Plus, I have a provincial coin with an owl on reverse, so I am good.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2022, 10:45:39 am »
Fwiw, I don't "get" why these coins sell for the prices they do. As mentioned, they are perhaps the most common Greek coin that exists.

In terms of artistry, I much prefer Hellenistic era coins of Syracuse with their stunning reverses, or some of the Hellenistic Kingdom tetradrachms with beautiful obverse portraits.

The owls aren't without their charm, and I agree with Joe, the op's second coin is the pick of the litter. My only gripe is the inexplicable cost of a coin that seems to be for sale everywhere in high quantities over a long span of time.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2022, 06:07:47 pm »
Good question. Trying to explain.

1. Owls of Athens are the MOST FAMOUS ancient coins. So:
2. Any ancient coin collector wants one, and any wide-range collection really needs an owl IMO.
3. As you see, your requirements define the price: Nose? Crest? Style? Condition? Centering? Surfaces? Test cut?
4. These not-big-but-chunky coins feel GREAT in hand.
5. Subtle differences in style, which group these coins into different emissions over time, can have a GREAT impact on the price and are often the reason for a high price that a beginner won't understand.

Over the last years, I have bought a few owls and went with style and beautiful and complete face; several of them have test cuts which make them quite more affordable.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2022, 06:41:48 pm »
Fwiw, I don't "get" why these coins sell for the prices they do. As mentioned, they are perhaps the most common Greek coin that exists.

The answer is very simple. Supply and demand. Supply is only half the equation. I have a BS in Economics from Florida State University. :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2022, 06:48:30 pm »
I think that is a good list. And I totally get the supply and demand thing. I would love to have an owl for many reasons, they are certainly iconic and beautiful, not to mention from the most known city of Ancient Greece. One day, I will probably pull the plug as I shift at times to more expensive, nicer coins on a selective basis. But, I always look at what I can get for the same amount of money, which is so far always 2-4 or more coins that are beautiful and that I want versus the owl and that includes many owls with test cuts. They are beautiful, no argument there. And also expensive at any condition level, at least in a relative sense.

Virgil

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2022, 12:50:55 pm »

Much the same can be said for Cleopatra bronze coins that are extremely common and mostly in terrible condition, yet sell for seemingly high prices compared to rarer and finer Ptolemaic bronze coins of other rulers.  Like Joe said, supply (sometimes manipulated by holders of huge hoards) and demand (sometimes hyped up) eventually set the prices. Don't be too surprised. There are always other choices.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity