Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange Constans II imitation?  (Read 673 times)

Offline Vajrapani

• Legionary
Strange Constans II imitation?
« on: April 06, 2022, 04:49:52 pm »
Hello all, a recent acquisition I'm struggling with, any opinions would be appreciated!

Is this a pseudo-Byzantine imitation of Constans II? It looks similar to Goodwin Class G, struck in the aftermath of the Arab conquest. However, it doesn't look like its based on the usual IMPER CONST prototype (Sear 1004), and instead has a coherent legend. Maybe it's from some obscure mint I've overlooked? The bust style & legend remind me of Carthage folles. The layout of the reverse is also distinct. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it. Could even be a forgery as the fabric and strike look odd to me (cast?). Thanks in advance. 

OBV - Constans II style bust: ‘DNCONS - VPPAVG’ (?)
REV - Large ‘M’, ‘AИИO’ l., Year ‘X’ r., Officina 'B/Δ', ‘CEUN’ (?) in exergue
24x23mm / 5.51g / 1 hrs

*Traces of undertype on reverse

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
Re: Strange Constans II imitation?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 04:33:55 pm »
The mirrored N in ANNO and the suspicious looking mintmark are suggestive of an Arabic or Syrian provenance this imitative coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity