Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > History and Archeology

Large hoard of denarii found in Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicum)

(1/2) > >>

Thilo:
A large hoard of abt. 5,500 denarii has been found by the city archeologists in Augsburg. The earliest coins are drom Nero's reign, the latest from the time of Septimius Severus. I only found German links, however, you may still like the pictures: https://www.staz.de/region/augsburg/kultur/bayerns-groesster-roemerschatz-5600-silbermuenzen-augsburg-entdeckt-id230863.html

SC:
I looked at the two enlargeable photos at the bottom.  Wow!  These are not worn pieces....

SC

Virgil H:
That site had a huge pop-up covering the article, so I couldn't see anything, but that is a seemingly huge hoard. Very cool. What happens to hoards like this in Germany? Will any of the coins come to market as it is in the UK? I always wonder about the various countries. My time in Turkey taught me about how strict some countries can be to the point I would never even try to buy a real ancient coin or artifact there.

Thanks,
Virgil

SC:
This hoard was found by city archaeologists in official excavations so it will presumably remain part of a museum's collection.  Had it been a private find on private property Germany has laws that I believe are closer (though not exact) to the UK than to somewhere like Turkey.

SC

Virgil H:
Thank you for that explanation.
Virgil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version