Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Palaeologan type from Anaia  (Read 1215 times)

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
New Palaeologan type from Anaia
« on: October 06, 2021, 11:04:31 pm »
The coins below are two of a number of similar examples from the excavations at Anaia in western Anatolia.

They are described as “overstrikes” (meaning I presume mules*), with an obverse of Michael VIII (cf. Sear 2261) and a reverse of Andronicus II (Dochev 2017, p. 62, no. 143).

None of this makes much sense to me so has anybody got any ideas as to what these types are?

In particular what exactly is Dochev 2017, p. 62, no. 143?

Ross G.

* Actually it seems the authors do mean overstrikes, as is possibly evident at the bottom of the reverse/top of the obverse of coin 27 - very confusing.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: New Palaeologan type from Anaia
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 12:00:05 am »
Actually, it seems there are two questions here - we seem to have a new type, with B. Christ on the obverse and the emperor half-length on the reverse (similar to but clearly different from Sear 2134 of John III), together with some minor over/understrikes thrown in to confuse the issue.

Ross G.

Offline Zbigniew S

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 01:18:22 pm »
Hello. Dochev 2017 it is:
Konstantin Dochev- THE COINS OF THE BYZANTINE PALAEOLOGOS FAMILY IN THE COIN CIRCULATION OF THE BULGARIAN KINGDOM IN PERIOD 1259-1396. CENTREX 2017
Best regards, Zbigniew

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 05:39:45 am »
In particular what exactly is Dochev 2017, p. 62, no. 143?

Hi Ross,

I have the book at home, i am traveling till early next month. I will get yu a copy of the page then.

Best,

Simon
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 08:38:02 pm »
It turns out Dochev swaps obverse and reverse in his book (my thanks to Simon), but anyway the Anaia reverses are essentially Dochev's "obverses" 142 & 143. (Dochev's "reverses" 142 & 143 are quite different seraph types).

I hope that makes everything (a bit) clearer.

Ross G.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2023, 09:07:58 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS