Antiquities Discussion Forums > Ancient and Medieval Finger Rings

Ancient Roman ring - Looking for any additional info

(1/3) > >>

Jj W:
Accidentally posted this to the "Other metal" subforum.  Sorry for the double post

(I'm pasting this same intro into all my first posts to level set. Thanks for your patience)
-----------------

Hello all,

I'm new here.  Please be kind :)

So I recently found out about auctions for ancient coins and artifacts.  I've mostly just been buying things that feel interesting or give me a good feeling.  I have always loved archeology and history, and also been a minor coin collector since childhood.

I'm not really collecting as an investment, more as a form of time travel.  I just love touching and holding these objects and imagining who may have held it when it was newer.  Having some kind of historical context to these objects is what I am mostly after. 

Also, I am strongly interested in attempting to restore everything to as close to what it looked like when it was new(er).  I don't want to destroy anything, but I also do want to be "aggressive" in the restoration efforts in an attempt to do so.

-----------------

So with this ring I'm looking for

1. Any info you all might think about it.
     a. I've done some searching and *seems* like this could have been a Roman legion ring from the Fourth Legion (4 circles)?
     b. What time period are we looking at here?
2. Best advice to attempt to restore it.
     a. Since it is bronze, I would LOVE to get it to shine up like bronze can
     b. I would then like to repair the crack with some bronze patching

Thank you for reading and I really do appreciate your time and look forward to learning more and being part of your community.

All the best,
JJ Walker

Ron C2:
I can't comment on whether it is Roman or not, it's not my expertise area.  But I can assure you that if you patch it and polish it up, it will then be worthless to anyone except to you, and all the proof of it being "old" will be removed by the polishing wheel.

Jj W:

--- Quote from: Ron C2 on October 06, 2021, 07:37:13 pm ---I can't comment on whether it is Roman or not, it's not my expertise area.  But I can assure you that if you patch it and polish it up, it will then be worthless to anyone except to you, and all the proof of it being "old" will be removed by the polishing wheel.

--- End quote ---

Thank you Ron.  I'm not really that concerned about the monetary value at this point.  I have seen really incredible photos of other ancient bronze items such as a 4000 year old bronze sword that went from looking like this, to some incredible bronze color.  Still damaged by age, but beautiful.  I assumed this would be able to be done to any object of same metal.  Sounds like this is naive?

nikopolis1:
This rings with dots usually are surfacing on late roman sites, but same decoration seems that has been used on some medieval rings as well. To be really sure you have to know what coins are coming out where it has been found.

SC:
The form as well as the decoration can often help ID the age.  Unfortunately, this form was used both by the Romans and in the medieval era.  So that doesn't narrow it down.

SC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version