Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Uncertain AE20 with prow  (Read 809 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Uncertain AE20 with prow
« on: August 12, 2021, 09:56:30 pm »
I'm not having any luck with this. It could be Coela but front and neck of prow seems to be different.
Thank you,
Charlie

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Uncertain AE20 with prow
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 12:34:56 am »
Dear Charlie and Board,

Yes, this is definitely a Coela issue, of probably Antoninus Pius.  This city's coins contain so many different types and varieties that it is little wonder why you didn't find an exact match for your piece.  The catalogs of RPC Online and Corpus Nummorum are still incomplete.  I have several unpublished types in my own collection that I haven't gotten around to publishing yet.  It would be nice if numismatists start cataloging the prow types/varieties based on the ornamentation on the prow in addition to other details.   

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan     

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Uncertain AE20 with prow
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 11:51:33 am »
Thank you Mark! There are many prow types from Coela and I was not familiar with this one.
Regards,
Charlie

All coins are guaranteed for eternity