Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Patina question  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Damian M

• Praetorian
Patina question
« on: January 20, 2017, 11:25:20 pm »
After reading the articles and reviewing the pictures on patina, i still have some questions. When i think of patina, i think more of a green or brown finish on bronze coins. To what point is dirt, considered part of the patina? Ive seen some coins advertised with a "desert" patina, that looks more like dirt to me, than finish on a coin. Thanks in advance.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Patina question
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 12:39:01 am »
You are correct, real desert patina is just very hard dirt, clay or sand that has attached itself to the coin surface.  The real patina is under it.  However the sandy patina usually hides a pitted  or problem surface.  That's why some people will fake a desert patina, it can hide defects in the coins  or just make a coin bolder.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Patina question
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 12:45:53 pm »
Genuine desert or sandy "patina" looks very pleasing.  That is why the compacted sand is left on the coin.  As Jay explained the "patina" part of the term is nonsense as it is dirt and not patina, but the term has been around a long time and is well understood so it sticks. 

Some coins with sandy patina have beautiful black patina under the sand.  They still look nice if the sand is all removed, but the contrast of sand and black looks nicest.  Others, as Jay noted are not so nice underneath.

Then there is the fake - sand and glue - stuff......

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity