Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266366 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #475 on: February 11, 2016, 10:29:05 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added another page to my website:

Roman Imperial, Probus - Numerian

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #476 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:53 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages to my website:

Roman Imperial, Diocletian - Maximianus I
Roman Imperial, Galerius - Maxentius

Meepzorp

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #477 on: February 12, 2016, 10:34:06 pm »
WOW. You seem to have that cell phone camera mastered, Meepzorp!!!
Well done. And some super coins!
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #478 on: February 13, 2016, 12:59:51 am »
WOW. You seem to have that cell phone camera mastered, Meepzorp!!!
Well done. And some super coins!
PeteB

Hi Akro,

Thanks for the compliment. :)

I must admit that I'm a little surprised myself at the quality of the photos I'm taking with an old iPhone 4. My photos have surpassed even my most optimistic expectations.

And please keep in mind that I am not editing or altering my raw photos in any way, shape, or form whatsoever. All I am doing is cropping them. And, in some cases, I'm rotating the images because the coin may be "crooked" (when taking the photo) in order to best capture the light. But that's it. That's all I'm doing. I am not adjusting or filtering the colors or anything like that. I don't have time for that. I have 2,000 coins to take photos of. Those are all raw images and natural colors.

I usually take 4-6 photos of each side (obverse and reverse). And I use the best photo.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #479 on: February 14, 2016, 12:30:26 am »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Constantine I (the Great) - Helena

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2016, 11:28:15 pm »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Licinius I

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #481 on: February 15, 2016, 05:54:22 pm »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Maximinus II - Licinius II

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #482 on: February 16, 2016, 01:34:20 am »
Hi folks,

I just added another page to my website:

Roman Imperial, Crispus - Constantine II

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #483 on: February 17, 2016, 12:49:45 am »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Constans
Roman Imperial, Constantius II

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #484 on: February 17, 2016, 07:26:19 pm »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Constantius Gallus - Valens

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2016, 03:21:52 am »
Hi folks,

I just added 2 more pages to my website:

Roman Imperial, Gratian
Roman Imperial, Theodosius I - Aelia Flaccilla

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2016, 11:54:40 pm »
Hi folks,

Roman Imperial, Arcadius - Honorius
Roman Imperial, Theodosius II - Leo I

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #487 on: February 19, 2016, 12:18:32 am »
Hi folks,

I am finally finished posting my Roman Imperial coins.

So far, I've posted 10 boxes of coins: 6 Magna Graecia (Greek Italy/Sicily) boxes and 4 Roman Imperial boxes. I started in early November 2015. I am now 3 1/2 months into this phase (Phase 3) of my project. All total, I have approximately 35 boxes of coins. So, I am about 29% done.

So far, I've uploaded almost 3,000 files (photos and web pages) to Joe's server. If I recall correctly, I think it is something like almost 500 Megabytes. And I'm only 29% done. At this rate, by the time I am done, I will have uploaded well over 10,000 files and over 1.5 Gigabytes to Joe's server.

I think I am going to post my Roman Provincial coins next. I have 9 boxes of them. That is almost as many boxes as my Magna Graecia coins and Roman Imperial coins combined. It is probably going to take me 3-4 months to post all of them. Assuming I stay on course, that will take me to late Spring or early Summer.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #488 on: February 19, 2016, 04:56:17 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on February 19, 2016, 12:18:32 am
Hi folks,

So far, I've posted 10 boxes of coins: 6 Magna Graecia (Greek Italy/Sicily) boxes and 4 Roman Imperial boxes. I started in early November 2015. I am now 3 1/2 months into this phase (Phase 3) of my project. All total, I have approximately 35 boxes of coins. So, I am about 29% done.

So far, I've uploaded almost 3,000 files (photos and web pages) to Joe's server. If I recall correctly, I think it is something like almost 500 Megabytes. And I'm only 29% done. At this rate, by the time I am done, I will have uploaded well over 10,000 files and over 1.5 Gigabytes to Joe's server.

I think I am going to post my Roman Provincial coins next. I have 9 boxes of them. That is almost as many boxes as my Magna Graecia coins and Roman Imperial coins combined. It is probably going to take me 3-4 months to post all of them. Assuming I stay on course, that will take me to late Spring or early Summer.

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp

Well done. You have an impressive collection.

Within "Augustus":
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rom_imp_aug_home.htm
... the following pages are of course "Octavian" and not "Augustus"
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ar_pt01.htm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ar_pt02.htm
and this is a mix
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ae_pt01.htm

Ideally you would rename the home-page title to "Octavian - Augustus" and rename the two fully Octavian pages as "Octavian" - removing the word Augustus, and probably the third mixed page as "Octavian - Augustus".

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #489 on: February 19, 2016, 08:21:27 am »
Hi folks,

I just added 2 coins to my Greek Italy, Calabria, Taras, Part 2 page. They are new arrivals. I just received them yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #490 on: February 20, 2016, 11:40:00 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on February 19, 2016, 12:18:32 am
Hi folks,

Meepzorp

Hi Meepzorp

Well done. You have an impressive collection.

Within "Augustus":
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rom_imp_aug_home.htm
... the following pages are of course "Octavian" and not "Augustus"
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ar_pt01.htm
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ar_pt02.htm
and this is a mix
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/ri_aug_ae_pt01.htm

Ideally you would rename the home-page title to "Octavian - Augustus" and rename the two fully Octavian pages as "Octavian" - removing the word Augustus, and probably the third mixed page as "Octavian - Augustus".

Hi Andrew,

Cara raised this issue earlier in this thread. And Nick offered a similar suggestion.

As I explained earlier in this thread, I like to keep my Octavian and Augustus coins together. It is one of my specialty areas of collecting, and I have so many of them that I created a separate section just for them. This is how I physically store them in my collection, and this is how I posted them in my website.

If I rename those pages "Octavian" or "Octavian - Augustus", it will create another problem. Immediately above that will be the phrase "Roman Imperial". Do you see the problem here?

I am basically in a "no win" situation. I can't lump my Octavian coins together with my Augustus coins in my website (all in the Roman Imperial section) and rename those pages without creating even more confusion. Technically, the Octavian issues are Roman Republic or Roman Imperatorial coins. But, as I mentioned above, I like to keep my Octavian/Augustus coins together, both in my collection (physically) and in my website (virtually).

I think that most collectors understand that they are the same person. Besides, I do label my Octavian issues as "Octavian" in my text descriptions. I think that is sufficient. No?

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #491 on: February 20, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »
I still think you should expand or alter the section titles. You could just use Octavian/Augustus as the main heading, and remove Roman Imperial altogether.  That would solve all the issues, right? Then for the individual lists correct to Octavian where appropriate.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #492 on: February 20, 2016, 01:40:18 pm »
I do think it should change - and there are a few solutions such as Nick's. Or, once you load up your Roman Republican, shifting the Octavians to that section. I think the compromise I suggested earlier also can work - having "Octavian-Augustus" under Roman Imperial isn't going to seriously mislead anyone - novices will come to understand that the "Augustus" part was his Roman Imperial title, and will see that there was a change of title in 27 BC, hence it's reasonable to put Roman Imperial as a catch-all (including a transition period into Roman Imperial). But explicitly calling the sections on coins of 43-27 BC "Augustus", despite the individual coin tickets saying "Octavian" is going to confuse the hell out of novices and turn my brain upside down too. It looks just like a whopper, when in fact it was a deliberate choice by you. You'll be receiving comments on it for the next 10 years. So I'd look for a solution that makes those sub-sections that cover 43-27BC explicitly "Octavian", and considers especially how a novice-collector might be (mis)informed by those pages. Three possible solutions have been suggested, and there may be others.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #493 on: February 21, 2016, 02:07:34 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 18 blurry and/or crooked Greek Italy photos. I re-shot them and re-uploaded them.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #494 on: February 21, 2016, 02:13:49 pm »
Hi Andrew and Nick,

I'll ponder the situation and try to come up with a workable solution.

Shifting my Octavian coins to my Roman Republic section (which I haven't gotten to yet) is out of the question.  I want to keep them together.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #495 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:01 am »
Hi folks,

I corrected the Augustus confusion problem. I re-labeled every Augustus website page as "Octavian/Augustus". Nick actually suggested a variation of this solution above, a method where I'd delete the "Roman Imperial" heading altogether. But I kept the "Roman Imperial" heading. My Octavian/Augustus coins need to have some sort of heading.

By keeping every Augustus page heading uniform, I figured that it is the least confusing solution.

I briefly thought about re-labeling only some pages as "Octavian" or "Octavian - Augustus", but that really would have been confusing, especially to a newbie. The main problem with that method occurs when I get to the first Augustus page (immediately after the transition). It would be Part 3 or Part 4 or whatever. Readers, especially newbies,  might think to themselves, "What happened to Part 1 and Part 2"?

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #496 on: February 22, 2016, 07:44:15 am »
Meepzorp

That's a fine compromise.

Andrew

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #497 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:21 pm »
Hi folks,

Roman Provincial, Achaea (Peloponnesos) - Aeolis

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #498 on: February 22, 2016, 04:51:27 pm »
You could also have just Roman, and omit the Imperial. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #499 on: February 23, 2016, 10:09:25 am »
Hi folks,

Roman Provincial, Arabia

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity