Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266694 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #375 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:23 am »
Quote from: quadrans on November 26, 2015, 01:33:30 am
Hi Meep..,

Your website are nicely increasing... :) +++
 Congratulation..
 Q.

Hi quad,

Thanks. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #376 on: November 27, 2015, 09:08:42 am »
Hi folks,

I just changed the name of this thread to "Meepzorp's coin website". Since the "help phase" of this project is primarily over, I decided that the name change would be appropriate now.

I would like to thank everyone for their assistance, suggestions, and advice. I really appreciate it. I couldn't have gotten this project off the ground without everyone's help. You know the old saying: "It takes a village..."

As Andrew stated, this project is "revolutionary". I don't know if something like this has ever been done before. In these types of situations, it is extremely important to have outside assistance and suggestions. It is crucial to have outside input.

Of course, going forward, if anyone has any advice or suggestions, please feel free to comment. For example, just last night, Nick notified me that one of my Campania, Neapolis, bronze MFB coins is mis-attributed (by the dealer). I will be correcting it soon.

And, now that I've been through the initial phases of this aspect of my project, if anyone needs any advice form me, please feel free to ask. Maybe someone wants to do something similar? Of course, I am still learning myself. I learn something new almost every day.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #377 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
Hi folks,

Some of you may have noticed something about my website. After receiving advice form several Forum members (including a poll in a separate, related thread), we decided that multiple coins per page would be better than one coin per page (where I was going to use the reference numbers as the clickable links). We also agreed that 5-20 coins per page would be optimal, where the average would be approximately 10 coins per page.

After completing numerous website pages, I've pretty much settled on the lower end of that 5-20 estimate. I did this for 2 reasons:

1) Since I am averaging about 4-6 photos per coin, when I reach 5 coins, I am already at 25 photos per page. I am doing this all from memory. I am not writing anything down as I am going along. When I go to my html kit after cropping and renaming my photos, I write the code holding the photo count (per coin) in my head. Anything more than 5 coins (approximately 25 photos) per page, and I start to lose track of the number of photos per coin. This is a major consideration because my photo count (per coin) varies. 5 coins per page seems to be my brain's upper limit.

2) I am leaving room for growth. In the future, I will probably be adding to my collection. This is especially true for my primary collecting areas (Campania, Augustus, etc.). If I do 10 coins per page now, when my collection grows in the future, I could have 20 or more coins per page. By having approximately 5 coins per page now, when my collection grows in the future, I will have approximately 10 coins per page.

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #378 on: November 27, 2015, 09:41:16 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 27, 2015, 09:28:12 am
2) I am leaving room for growth. In the future, I will probably be adding to my collection. This is especially true for my primary collecting areas (Campania, Augustus, etc.). If I do 10 coins per page now, when my collection grows in the future, I could have 20 or more coins per page. By having approximately 5 coins per page now, when my collection grows in the future, I will have approximately 10 coins per page.

This sounds like the analog equivalent of leaving space between coins in your trays to avoid reshuffling for future acquisitions. That's something I do, so it resonates with me!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #379 on: November 28, 2015, 10:21:25 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I replaced one blurry photo in my Campania, Cales, Part 2 page.

I also addressed the issue of my mis-attributed coins. There were 2 coins (the last 2) in my Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 3 page that were mis-attributed by the dealers. One is Cales. The other is Suessa Aurunca. Nick pointed out to me that the latter was mis-attributed, but he thought it was Cales ("CALENO"). It is actually Suessa Aurunca ("SVESANO"). I had to re-write the tags and re-shoot the photos. Then, I put everything in the proper pages.

I also modified a text description in my Campania, Cales, Part 1 page. This was done based on my off-site conversations with Nick (pertaining to his upcoming book).

All total, I changed 4 pages today:

Campania, Cales, Part 1
Campania, Cales, Part 2 (2 changes)
Campania, Suessa Aurunca
Campania, Neapolis, Bronze, Part 3 (2 changes)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #380 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:20 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Campania, Nola-Nuceria Alfaterna and Campania, Phistelia) to my website.

I also swapped out 6 blurry photos in my Campania, Suessa Aurunca page, and 2 blurry photos in my Campania, Teanum Sidicinum page.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2015, 05:11:24 am »
Hi folks,

I guess everyone is wondering why I haven't added any pages to to website recently. I've been very busy for the past 10-14 days or so. I've also been very sick. This happens every Winter. So, my pace has significantly slowed down. On top of all of that, Joe's FTP has been down for several days now, so I can't upload any files or photos to his server.

Sometimes in the next few days, my distractions should lessen significantly. And I should be able to substantially pick up my pace again. Of course, this is assuming that (a) my health stabilizes, and (b) Joe's FTP becomes operational again soon (which he informed me it should).

In the meantime, I made a fascinating discovery about the first coin in my Campania, Nola page. It is the exact coin in Nick's MFB website (coin #811 in Nick's website). I never noticed that before. Apparently, it was sold at auction not too long before I purchased it (from a different dealer's fixed price list). And Nick has a photo of that coin that was taken before I purchased it. Based on the information contained in Nick's website, I modified the text in my website entry. I haven't uploaded it yet because Joe's FTP is down. I also re-wrote my tags and took new photos. The letter/monogram below the MFB on the reverse is not an A (which is what I thought it was). It is actually   :Greek_Lambda: E. Now that I have an enlarged photo of that coin, I can clearly see that the information contained in Nick's website entry is correct. Well, at least the reverse information is correct. The obverse information contained in Nick's website has me confused. I still don't know what that object is behind Athena's neck (a hook?). I never noticed it until I read Nick's website entry. I didn't even know it was there.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2015, 07:38:08 am »
That description is based on my translation of Sambon.  If I remember correctly, I put "hook" in quotes because that was the direct translation but it probably means something different in English.  I won't have time to look up the entry now.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #383 on: December 07, 2015, 08:28:16 am »
Hi folks,

Joe's FTP is working again.

I just added 4 more pages to my website:

Frentani, Larinum
Latium
Lucania, Heraklea
Lucania, Laus

I also edited the text in my first entry in my Campania, Nola page. And I added the new photos of my re-written tags.

I also swapped out my blurry Campania, Nuceria Alfaterna photo (reverse).

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #384 on: December 07, 2015, 11:56:28 am »
Hi folks,

I just swapped out 4 blurry photos in the following pages:

Campania, Capua, Part 2, second coin, reverse
Lucania, Heraklea, second coin, obverse and reverse
Lucania, Laus, second coin, obverse

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #385 on: December 08, 2015, 07:26:16 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Lucania, Metapontum, Part 1 and Part 2) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #386 on: December 08, 2015, 08:13:18 am »
Hi folks,

I just split my Apulia, Arpi - Luceria website page into 2 pages:

Apulia, Arpi - Hyrium
Apulia, Luceria

I did this to keep it in line with my other website pages. That was the first page I created. I had too many coins in it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #387 on: December 08, 2015, 06:52:49 pm »
Hi folks,

I just swapped out 11 blurry photos in the following website pages:

Apulia, Caelia (2)
Apulia, Hyrium
Apulia, Salapia (2)
Bruttium, Hipponium
Bruttium, Locroi, Part 2
Bruttium, Nuceria
Bruttium, Petelia
Lucania, Metapontum, Part 2 (2)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #388 on: December 09, 2015, 05:07:14 am »
Hi folks,

Tonight, I added 2 more pages (Lucania, Paestum, Part 1 and Part 2) to my website.

Of course, those are just my Greek Italy Paestum coins. I also have numerous Roman Provincial Paestum coins. I will post those coins in my website when I get to my Roman Provincial coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #389 on: December 10, 2015, 06:40:11 am »
It's looking good. I've gone through every page, and I think the quality of the coins is amazing as is the coverage and the quality of the photography and the tickets. For all the warnings I gave earlier this year about mobile phone photography, I think I'll have to eat some humble pie. The photos are terrific. A few blurry ones still out there but the dark ones have all been replaced and they really look like you could pick up the coins. It's an impressive collection of coins, and I look forward to the rest of the collection emerging.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #390 on: December 11, 2015, 08:44:29 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Lucania, Poseidonia and Thurium) to my website.

I also swapped out numerous (approximately 8-10) blurry photos in my 2 Lucania, Paestum pages.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2015, 09:02:15 am »
It's looking good. I've gone through every page, and I think the quality of the coins is amazing as is the coverage and the quality of the photography and the tickets. For all the warnings I gave earlier this year about mobile phone photography, I think I'll have to eat some humble pie. The photos are terrific. A few blurry ones still out there but the dark ones have all been replaced and they really look like you could pick up the coins. It's an impressive collection of coins, and I look forward to the rest of the collection emerging.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the compliments. :)

Yes, there are a few semi-blurry photos here and there. I've re-shot them numerous times, with no improvement. Some coins are just stubborn. They represent a small percentage of my photos. Usually, they are small AE coins. They are the toughest to shoot.

Also, I usually don't swap out my blurry photos until the next day I upload. Unfortunately, many times, I don't notice that a coin is blurry on the iPhone. I don't realize it until after I transfer the photos to the computer. By then, it is too late because I am already processing my photos, and my lighting set-up is already dismantled. I must wait until the next day to swap out my previous day's blurry photos.  That is the "system" I've been using. It seems to be working for me.

For example, today, I added my Lucania, Poseidonia and Thurium pages. But I also swapped out the numerous blurry photos in my 2 Lucania, Paestum pages.

Additionally, please keep in mind that my photos are not filtered or edited in any way, shape, or form whatsoever. I don't have time for that. I have literally thousands of photos to take. They are all "raw" photos from an old iPhone 4. All I am doing is cropping them. That's it.

Some Forum members, including Jay and Bill, thought that this thread and my website were going to be "train wrecks". :) ::)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2015, 12:31:38 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 4 more pages to my website:

Lucania, Velia
Samnium, Aesernia
Umbria, Tuder
Sardinia

I also swapped out one blurry photo in my Lucania, Thurium page.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #393 on: December 13, 2015, 02:54:33 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages to my website:

Sicily, Abacaenum
Sicily, Aetna - Agyrion

I also created a Greek Sicily home page. And I modified my index page.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #394 on: December 13, 2015, 04:09:58 pm »
Your MFB from Agyrion is spectacular!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #395 on: December 14, 2015, 10:44:12 am »
Your MFB from Agyrion is spectacular!

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the encouraging words.  :)

When I saw your your name listed as the most recent post, I got very nervous. I was afraid that you were going to tell me that, in your opinion, you felt that it is a counterfeit. I know that many of those coins are fakes, and that you even discussed numerous examples of them on more than one occasion.

Believe it or not, no one bid on that coin. It was a "leftover". I purchased it from that dealer's list of unsold lots. No one wanted it.

It was very expensive. Offhand, I think that is the most money I have ever paid for an AE MFB coin.

Assuming it hasn't already gone to the publisher, you can use that example in your book if you like.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #396 on: December 14, 2015, 12:18:30 pm »
There are many cast fakes of this coin but yours appears genuine.  Nothing to the publisher yet (the baby is delaying things a bit) but the CNG example is better and shows the inscription better, so I'll use that one. 

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #397 on: December 16, 2015, 11:15:07 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one more page (Sicily, Akragas, Part 1) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #398 on: December 16, 2015, 11:43:03 am »
Meep,

For what it's worth,  I also had doubts about that eagle/snake didrachm, even before reading your disclosure that it might be fake!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #399 on: December 17, 2015, 05:28:14 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Sicily, Akragas, Part 2 and Part 3) to my website.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity