Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266391 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #350 on: November 15, 2015, 08:02:56 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 15, 2015, 05:29:33 pm
...As you stated, it is a lot of work. That's why I didn't respond to your post until now. When I read your post last night, I was awake about 18 hours. I was exhausted. This is the case every night....

Meepzorp, STOP that PLEASE.  What's the hurry?  Please take your time.  Make it a labor of pleasure or forget it.  Take care of your self. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #351 on: November 15, 2015, 11:41:04 pm »
...As you stated, it is a lot of work. That's why I didn't respond to your post until now. When I read your post last night, I was awake about 18 hours. I was exhausted. This is the case every night....

Meepzorp, STOP that PLEASE.  What's the hurry?  Please take your time.  Make it a labor of pleasure or forget it.  Take care of your self. 

+1

Enjoy it...

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #352 on: November 16, 2015, 05:48:25 am »

Hi Joe,

Thank you for your concern. Don't worry. I know what my body can handle and what it can't.

I think you are misunderstanding me. Believe me, it is a labor of pleasure. I love ancient coins. And I look forward to doing this (my project) every day. It takes my mind off my illness. It helps me to cope with it. That's why I started collecting ancient coins in the first place back in 1998.

Technically, I am not "in a hurry". But I don't want to be sitting here a year from now still trying to finish this project. At the rate I am going (about 10 coins a day), it is probably going to take me about 6 months, possibly longer.

I didn't shoot any new photos today. Tomorrow, I am going to be busy too.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #353 on: November 16, 2015, 05:50:26 am »
Hi folks,

Tonight, I re-shot my blurry Apulia and Bruttium photos. I swapped them out.

I hope they look better.

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #354 on: November 16, 2015, 06:00:03 am »
I think Meep's project is going extremely well. It justifies in retrospect the full year of frustration many of us have had giving advice about PCs, photography and websites (especially to the extent that good advice was often initially disregarded, but then acted on maybe months later). The paranumismatic aspect of the end product (the tags) are what in my mind make this specially important  - it may be the first online coin collection illustrated using owner and dealer written tags. We are also gradually discovering that the collection itself is of very high quality. The replacement photos are looking good and I'm hopeful Meep will gradually improve the quality and replace others. I'm perhaps alone in agreeing with the use of the variegated cloth background - absent a grey card, one of the better materials to use as background can be cloth with some variations in shades and textures as it approximates to a natural background, whereas monochrome substitutes for a grey card can often result in disastrous colour casts. I'd stick with this background, as it appears to be working.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #355 on: November 16, 2015, 01:09:45 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 16, 2015, 05:48:25 am
...Don't worry. I know what my body can handle and what it can't...I think you are misunderstanding me. Believe me, it is a labor of pleasure...

Good, thanks. I am less worried.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #356 on: November 17, 2015, 02:15:06 am »
I think Meep's project is going extremely well. It justifies in retrospect the full year of frustration many of us have had giving advice about PCs, photography and websites (especially to the extent that good advice was often initially disregarded, but then acted on maybe months later). The paranumismatic aspect of the end product (the tags) are what in my mind make this specially important  - it may be the first online coin collection illustrated using owner and dealer written tags. We are also gradually discovering that the collection itself is of very high quality. The replacement photos are looking good and I'm hopeful Meep will gradually improve the quality and replace others. I'm perhaps alone in agreeing with the use of the variegated cloth background - absent a grey card, one of the better materials to use as background can be cloth with some variations in shades and textures as it approximates to a natural background, whereas monochrome substitutes for a grey card can often result in disastrous colour casts. I'd stick with this background, as it appears to be working.

Hi Meep,

I absolutely agree with Andrew , some notes..like background .. etc... You should heed the advice.
 Your collection and your websites are nicely increasing,  ;) :) +++

Congratulation

All the best Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #357 on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:55 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one page (Bruttium, Skylletium - Vibo Valentia) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Bill W4

• Caesar
« Reply #358 on: November 17, 2015, 05:50:26 pm »
Meep;  Your site is coming along nicely.  With all the sturm und drang , I thought it would never happen.    Nice job.  Bill
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #359 on: November 17, 2015, 09:20:24 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one more page (Calabria, minor mints) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #360 on: November 18, 2015, 05:28:37 am »
Hi folks,

Tonight, I added 2 more pages (Calabria, Taras) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2015, 02:19:45 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Calabria, Taras, Part 3 and Campania, Allifae-Atella) to my website.

I also swapped out a blurry photo in my Calabria, Taras, Part 2 page. It is the reverse of the first Campano-Tarantine Alliance coin, with the reverse depicting a dolphin and lion symbols.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:19 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Campania, Capua) to my website.

I also swapped out 2 blurry photos in my Calabria, Taras, Part 3 page.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2015, 07:49:53 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added 2 more pages (Campania, Cumae and Hyria) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
Looks great.  I really like the Hyria coins.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2015, 11:55:59 am »
Hi folks,

I just added another page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 2) to my website.

As you may have noticed, I skipped over part 1. This is because a coin is in transit. I didn't receive it yet. I am waiting for it to arrive. When it comes, I will go back and do part 1.

I also swapped out a blurry photo. It is in my Campania, Capua, Part 1 page. It is the last coin on that page, obverse photo (Dionysos?).

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2015, 12:54:02 pm »
Meep,

Your Campania, Naples, Silver, Part II photos look excellent.  Whatever you've changed in your photography recently seems to be working!

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2015, 01:10:43 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 21, 2015, 12:54:02 pm
Meep,

Your Campania, Naples, Silver, Part II photos look excellent.  Whatever you've changed in your photography recently seems to be working!

Hi Cara,

Thanks for the compliment.

Actually, I didn't change anything in my photography. I'm doing the exact same thing I've been doing.

My Campania, Neapolis silver coins just happen to be coins that are easy to take photos of. They are silver, not bronze, which are notoriously difficult to take photos of, especially the darker ones. And they are nicely toned. They don't have ridiculously lustrous surfaces, as my Cumae coins do. You may have noticed the reverse photo of my last Cumae coin, with the star symbol. It is very bright. The reason for this is that this coin is in very low grade, and it has very lustrous surfaces. I had to place the coin on the grey towel at an undesirable angle in order to get the star to be visible in the photo. When I tilted the coin at the normal angle, the star wasn't visible in the photo (because it is so worn). When I laid it flat, the star became visible, but the luster is blinding. I re-shot that coin about 7-8 times. Then, after posting it, I re-shot it again several more times. The new photos were worse than the one I had previously posted, so I left it alone. I even tried shooting it with my lights off. It was worse, I assume because the dark background caused the camera's shutter to open more. This seems to be a problem with very low grade AR coins with very lustrous surfaces.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #368 on: November 22, 2015, 11:52:40 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one more page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 3) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #369 on: November 23, 2015, 08:03:03 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one more page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 4) to my website.

I also swapped out 2 blurry photos in my Neapolis, Silver, Part 3 page.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #370 on: November 23, 2015, 01:21:18 pm »
Hi folks,

I just added one more page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1) to my website.

As you may have noticed, there is a coin missing. It has a text description only. I am still waiting for that coin to arrive. I thought it would be here by now, but it isn't. When it arrives, I will go back and add the photos. That's why I skipped part 1 in the first place. But I got tired of waiting, and I figured that I'd add that page.

I also swapped out 4 blurry photos in my Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 4 page. These new photos should be more clear.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #371 on: November 24, 2015, 07:26:48 am »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 23, 2015, 01:21:18 pm
Hi folks,

I just added one more page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1) to my website.

As you may have noticed, there is a coin missing. It has a text description only. I am still waiting for that coin to arrive. I thought it would be here by now, but it isn't. When it arrives, I will go back and add the photos. That's why I skipped part 1 in the first place. But I got tired of waiting, and I figured that I'd add that page.

Meepzorp

Hi folks,

That coin finally arrived yesterday. But it arrived with significant surface damage, and I was forced to return it for a full refund. So, I deleted that entry from my Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 1 website page. And I re-uploaded that page to Joe's server. That's why that page has only 3 entries now.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #372 on: November 24, 2015, 05:11:00 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one more page (Campania, Neapolis, Silver, Part 5) to my website.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #373 on: November 25, 2015, 08:46:31 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out a bunch of blurry photos in my Campania, Neapolis, Bronze website pages (Parts 1-4). All total, I replaced 19 photos in those 4 pages. These new photos should be more clear.

Meepzorp

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #374 on: November 26, 2015, 01:33:30 am »
Hi Meep..,

Your website are nicely increasing... :) +++
 Congratulation..
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity