Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 266426 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Coin website help
« Reply #275 on: November 04, 2015, 05:35:16 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:08:31 pm
I wouldn't spend money on virus protection after the free six months. Windows 10 comes with Windows Defender. Some people think Windows Defender isn't adequate. Even so, there are a number of free antivirus, anti-spyware and anti-malware protection programs that you can download.

Hi Joe,

My old computer has Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. Jay referred me to them.

I know that they can remove a virus after it has already attacked your computer. But I don't know if they actually prevent a virus from entering in the first place.

Meepzorp

Meepzorp

As Joe said, you don't need antivirus with Windows 10 - safety is essentially built in to Windows Defender. Any free antivirus is likely to try install a lot of extra junk on your new PC and probably slow it down. So, don't. The time spent installing stuff you don't need is better spent installing stuff you really do need such as a photo editor. With your iPhone camera, you are always going to need to post -process because its camera element is a low cost item that'll only take moderate quality pics. Whilst waiting to buy a better camera please download and use Photofiltre (or equivalent). And as previously reminded, OpenOffice and LibreOffice are perfectly good alternates to Word and Excel.

Hi Andrew,

You are correct. The Malwarebytes does slow down the the computer.

Are you saying that I shouldn't bother installing the free 6 months anti-virus software either? The manufacturer is Webroot.

Yes, I remembered what you had said about the free word processors. That's one of the reasons why I didn't buy a word processor.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #276 on: November 04, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 04, 2015, 05:34:34 pm
If you already use CFLs in your house, you should definitely try a CFL (please be careful with it).  CFLs rate pretty high in terms of light "temperature" being close to daylight - in effect neutral brightness.  It would be good if you could setup the light so that you can adjust its angle vs. the coin, but go with your overhead setup for now.

Hi Cara,

I just checked. Yes, I do have a few extra CFL bulbs. They are 23 watts each, equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb. They are "cool white", which I think is equivalent to "soft white".

So, my "new" (third different) lighting set-up will consist of 3 light sources: sunlight (primary) and two 23 watt CFL bulbs (secondary), each equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb.

Boy, I'm really experimenting!!! :)

Meepzorp

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #277 on: November 04, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:35:16 pm
Hi Andrew,

Are you saying that I shouldn't bother installing the free 6 months anti-virus software either? The manufacturer is Webroot.

Yes, I remembered what you had said about the free word processors. That's one of the reasons why I didn't buy a word processor.

Meepzorp

Meep

Do not install this or any other "free trial" program that came with the PC. Delete them all, if necessary going into Control Panel > Programs to get rid of them. Windows 10 Defender is a perfectly adequate and modern anti-virus and anti-malware defender. If you spend your life browsing very risky websites (e.g. p**n pay-sites, online-gambling, illegal "medicinal" sale sites, anything Bitcoin related) then some sort of super professional program such as Kapersky might be advised. But otherwise, not only is it a waste to install these "free trials" but they will come with a whole load of c**p that will slow down your PC and change all your settings in ways you don't like. The reason your PC was so cheap is because bloatware manufacturers will have paid a shed-load of money to be allowed to install "free trials", sometimes with unintended piggy-back downloads (inevitable auto-downloads of unwanted search providers and browser toolbars). If you do accidentally install any of them, they'll stay in your right-click menus forever, and you'll face annoying and intrusive daily reminders to switch to the paid-for versions every day for the next 10 years. Delete delete delete.

Andrew
P.S. Edge is a great browser.

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2015, 08:07:50 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:47:54 pm
If you already use CFLs in your house, you should definitely try a CFL (please be careful with it).  CFLs rate pretty high in terms of light "temperature" being close to daylight - in effect neutral brightness.  It would be good if you could setup the light so that you can adjust its angle vs. the coin, but go with your overhead setup for now.

Hi Cara,

I just checked. Yes, I do have a few extra CFL bulbs. They are 23 watts each, equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb. They are "cool white", which I think is equivalent to "soft white".

If you have the light positioned quite close to the coin, a 23 watt CFL might be enough.  Your description of your setup (work light attached to a ceiling fixture) leads me to think that your light is about 2-3 feet away from the coin.  At that distance, I would suggest a much more powerful CFL - maybe 60 to 100 watts - to effectively light the coin.  But first try what you've got and see how it works.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #279 on: November 05, 2015, 06:28:58 am »
Meepzorp,

I would imagine your i-phone camera has automatic exposure. Therefore any increase in the overall lighting will simply cause the camera to lower the exposure resulting in no change to the picture. The camera is using the black in the picture (the coin) and the white in the picture (the background) to judge exposure. It should help if you eliminate the white background. Try using a medium grey background.

Peter
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #280 on: November 05, 2015, 04:32:12 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:35:16 pm
Hi Andrew,

Meepzorp

Meep

Do not install this or any other "free trial" program that came with the PC. Delete them all, if necessary going into Control Panel > Programs to get rid of them. Windows 10 Defender is a perfectly adequate and modern anti-virus and anti-malware defender. If you spend your life browsing very risky websites (e.g. p**n pay-sites, online-gambling, illegal "medicinal" sale sites, anything Bitcoin related) then some sort of super professional program such as Kapersky might be advised. But otherwise, not only is it a waste to install these "free trials" but they will come with a whole load of c**p that will slow down your PC and change all your settings in ways you don't like. The reason your PC was so cheap is because bloatware manufacturers will have paid a shed-load of money to be allowed to install "free trials", sometimes with unintended piggy-back downloads (inevitable auto-downloads of unwanted search providers and browser toolbars). If you do accidentally install any of them, they'll stay in your right-click menus forever, and you'll face annoying and intrusive daily reminders to switch to the paid-for versions every day for the next 10 years. Delete delete delete.

Andrew
P.S. Edge is a great browser.

Hi Andrew,

I am still using my old computer because I wasn't sure exactly which programs I should install in my new computer. I set up my new computer today (account, internet access, etc.), but I haven't used it yet.

The online ad for the new computer I purchased stated that it came with Kapersky. But, at the store, they didn't give me that. They gave me Webroot in a separate package. I was supposed to install it, but, based on your warnings, I haven't done so. After I set up my new computer, I noticed the McAfee icon on the start-up screen. I think it has McAfee in it, just like my old one does. I wasn't even aware of that.

I want to make sure that I am understanding you correctly. You are advising me that Windows 10 Defender is adequate, and that I should NOT install the Webroot anti-virus program, right? What about the McAfee that appears to already be in the computer (which I wasn't even aware of until I set it up)?

One other point. On my old computer, I used Malwarebytes and Superantispyware to remove cookies (adware, etc.). If I don't download either one of those, how do I remove those things? Or should I not even bother?

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #281 on: November 05, 2015, 04:35:43 pm »
I would delete McAfee and would not install the Webroot if it is a trial version.  Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are OK.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #282 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:39 pm »
McAfee is generally standard ware but I always delete it and use something else as it's known to slow a computer down so I agree with Joe

Adrian
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #283 on: November 05, 2015, 05:52:29 pm »
With Windows 10 you don't need anything at all - no anti virus no malware defender. It's all integrated.

If I have Windows Defender, do I need to buy anything else to protect my computer?
If your computer is running the Windows 10 operating system, Windows Defender will help protect you from viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. You don’t need to buy anything else.
UNQUOTE

You don't need anything at all.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2015, 08:37:48 pm »
On uninstalling McAfee:
McAfee is famous for littering your computer with files everywhere. I don't know if that is the case anymore.
Even with its built-in uninstaller, my bet is that the situation hasn't changed that much. And McAfee isn't alone in that regard.
FWIW, I use a really good program that tracks down ALL remnant files and lets you delete them. It is called Revo Uninstaller. You can download a free version here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/
They call it a "Trial version," but I bet they let you keep using it.
One word of caution: when you get to the point of deleting registry files, be certain to put a check mark in front of ONLY files IN BOLD LETTERS!
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2015, 09:09:20 pm »
Hi folks,

I am using my new computer in Forum for the first time.

Based on everyone's advice, when I started it today, the first thing I did was to uninstall McAfee. First, I deleted the icon. Then, I went into the hard drive and uninstalled it. I had to click through a series of windows in order to do it. It wasn't easy.

When I deleted McAfee, a small window appeared stating that my Windows Defender was turned off and that my computer was unprotected. It appeared for only 1-2 seconds. So, I went into my hard drive again. I went into the Windows Defender settings. It was "on". In fact, I even clicked on "update" to download all of the updates (155 days worth of updates). I don't know why that window appeared stating that it was turned off. Maybe McAfee is trying to scare people into re-installing their product. That was strange.

Then, I downloaded Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.

I went into my AOL email account. I can't believe how fast this computer is. The pages load in a fraction of a second, instead of 10-20 seconds per page with my old computer. And the videos in the AOL news actually work.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2015, 09:13:23 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on November 04, 2015, 08:07:50 pm
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 04, 2015, 05:47:54 pm

Hi Cara,

If you have the light positioned quite close to the coin, a 23 watt CFL might be enough.  Your description of your setup (work light attached to a ceiling fixture) leads me to think that your light is about 2-3 feet away from the coin.  At that distance, I would suggest a much more powerful CFL - maybe 60 to 100 watts - to effectively light the coin.  But first try what you've got and see how it works.

Hi Cara,

The "work light" actually 1 1/2 to 2 feet away from the coin.

I'll see if I can find a more powerful CFL bulb.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2015, 09:16:04 pm »
Meepzorp,

I would imagine your i-phone camera has automatic exposure. Therefore any increase in the overall lighting will simply cause the camera to lower the exposure resulting in no change to the picture. The camera is using the black in the picture (the coin) and the white in the picture (the background) to judge exposure. It should help if you eliminate the white background. Try using a medium grey background.

Peter

Hi Pete,

Thanks for pointing this out. The towel in the background is actually a very light blue.

I'll see if I can find a medium grey towel.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2015, 12:22:27 am »
It probably said it wasn't turned on because it hadn't fully loaded.

I hope you are deleting files using the Control panel "remove programs" and not just deleting folders in your C drive!

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2015, 11:32:11 am »
It sounds like he didn't use"Add and Remove Programs." That means his Registry is still loaded with McAfee entries.
MeepZorp, you can probably still use Revo Uninstaller to delete all McAfee files, folders and entries. i think it finds installed programs by scanning Registry entries, and show the McAfee icon on its program listings.
With your vastly larger capacity on your new computer, this may not be any kind of issue....unless those Registry entries interfere with other software or keep trying to launch the program....or keep bugging you to reinstall McAfee.
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2015, 08:34:41 pm »
Meepzorp,

Peter

Hi Pete,

Today, I bought a medium grey towel to use as my background.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2015, 09:00:04 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I tried to resolve some of my lighting issues.

An acquaintance has a 55 watt CFL bulb, which is equivalent to a 200 watt incandescent bulb. He let me try it. It is huge. I mean, it is monstrous. It is about 5 times the size of a 23 watt CFL bulb. It wouldn't fit in the socket of my "work light" because the base (which contains the ballast) is too wide. Also, the threads looked different too. So, we couldn't even test it. Are all high wattage CFL bulbs that huge? Or is this bulb intended for a specific application?

I tried a brand new 23 watt CFL bulb in my work light. It wouldn't work. I thought that maybe it was defective. So, I took the 23 watt CFL bulb out my kitchen light fixture and put it in my work light. That bulb wouldn't work either. Then, it got stuck and wouldn't unscrew or come out. It took me about 10 agonizing minutes to get it out of the socket. I put the incandescent bulb back in it, and it worked. So, I had a mystery on my hands. The incandescent bulb worked, but the CFL bulbs wouldn't. I spoke to a relative. He told me to pry up the metal contact at the base of the socket, which I did. Sure enough, it worked. The CFL bulbs worked after I bent it up.

I also brought up from my cellar my goose neck desk lamp which I used when I was a graduate student back in 1989-1990. It has two 15 watt fluorescent bulbs in it. They are not CFL bulbs. They are the old style fluorescent bulbs. I don't know how the wattage translates.

So, now my lighting set-up (my fourth different version) consists of 4 different light sources:

Sunlight, which comes in from my kitchen window.
My kitchen light fixture, which hangs from the ceiling. It contains one 23 watt CFL bulb, which is equivalent to a 100 watt incandescent bulb.
My "work light", which I clamp onto the bottom of my kitchen light fixture. It contains one 23 watt CFL bulb.
My goose neck desk lamp, which contains two 15 watt fluorescent bulbs.

I tested this set-up at night. It appears to be bright. I didn't take any photos using it yet.

One idea I am toying with is putting some sort of (Y-shaped?) "splitter" in my work light. That way, I'll be able to put two 23 watt CFL bulbs in it. That would produce the equivalent of a 200 watt incandescent bulb.

So, that's where I am at now.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2015, 09:05:34 pm »

I hope you are deleting files using the Control panel "remove programs" and not just deleting folders in your C drive!

Hi Jay,

I deleted the folder from my C drive. Did I do something wrong? I didn't know that there was a difference.

I don't know how to remove programs using the control panel.

Meepzorp

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2015, 11:05:36 pm »
I EDIT the notes below here:
On second thought, reverting to factory settings will erase your web page work and other things you added to your new computer, including settings.
I don't want to get into backing up your system first.
So, I suggest you just stay the way you are now, unless McAfee acts up. Then consider backing up your work (Google it) and doing the below.
But DO set up "System Restore" as described in the first link.
PeteB

" Did I do something wrong?"

Yes! McAfee's Registry's files are still there. You can possibly have reverted to your status prior to those deletions had you set a "Restore Point" on the Windows 10 System Restore feature, but you probably have not done so.

So, you have two choices, as I see it (If others have a better solution, chip in).
1. Leave your system as it is, hoping the McAfee Registry settings won't cause trouble.
2. Go to this link and reset your computer to factory settings, and McAfee will be completely restored.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/system-restore-factory-reset-work-windows-10/

Scroll down to "Reset Windows 10." Read it and follow instructions closely.
In fact, SAVE THIS Link. You will need it in the future for setting up "System Restore" and other points it covers.

Then, Google on how to properly delete a program in Windows 10 (of which I know nothing). Just simply type in "How do I delete a program in Windows 10." One GOOD result is:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2954296/windows/how-to-uninstall-programs-and-apps-in-windows-10.html

Use the instructions to delete McAfee.

Then, set up "System Restore" as described in the first link above! Then you won't have to "reset to factory settings" in the future.

Revo Uninstaller does an even more thorough job than the Windows uninstaller. The "Pro" version, which you have to pay for, is compatible with Windows 10. I would think the free trial version is, too, but I don't know that for a fact..

When in doubt on doing ANYTHING you have never done before on your new computer before, GOOGLE what you want to do!!!

There are LOTS of tips on the internet on how to do it!
PeteB

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2015, 06:00:16 pm »
Hi folks,

I think my first web page is done. What do you think?

I used my new lighting set-up. The photos came out lighter. They aren't as dark.

Also, because I used a CFL bulb in the work light, the colors are more natural. They don't have that orange tint. The photos look much more like the coins in hand.

The only problem is that a few of the photos came out a little blurry. I don't know why. I did the same thing as before. I did nothing different.

Meepzorp

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #295 on: November 07, 2015, 06:34:49 pm »
Meep,
HUGE improvement in the photos!!  The blurriness is likely just camera shake. You need either a camera with stability control or a way to brace the camera when shooting the pics or just practice keeping the camera very still when shooting.  But the lighting, color and detail look great now. I still suggest picking a plainer background.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #296 on: November 07, 2015, 07:02:47 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 06, 2015, 09:05:34 pm

Hi Jay,

I deleted the folder from my C drive. Did I do something wrong? I didn't know that there was a difference.

Meepzorp

There is a difference.  You should always use the add/remove programs to delete unwanted installed items.

Google is your friend.  We could continue to tell u you here but a goggle search will quickly show you screen shts and step by step directions.

Like I said...train wreck, but I can't look away.  ;D

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #297 on: November 07, 2015, 08:21:16 pm »
Much nicer photos in terms of lighting but some of the obverses are a little blurry.

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #298 on: November 07, 2015, 08:44:46 pm »
Hi folks,

I think my second page is done.

That's the end of my Apulia coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #299 on: November 07, 2015, 08:47:36 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on November 06, 2015, 09:05:34 pm

Hi Jay,

Meepzorp
Like I said...train wreck, but I can't look away.  ;D

Hi Jay,

Why is it a train wreck? Still (after all the progress I've made)?

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity