Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Meepzorp's coin website  (Read 267792 times)

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: Meepzorp's coin website
« Reply #1275 on: May 02, 2021, 04:58:16 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 6 sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos:

Constantius II - Valens

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1276 on: May 02, 2021, 09:13:14 am »
Do you know the total number of coins you have listed?
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1277 on: May 02, 2021, 11:09:33 pm »
Hi Joe,

No, I don't know. Why are you asking?

However, I do know how many website pages I have. It is exactly 553 pages, including "home" pages (pages that don't have any coins listed and simply direct you to another page via a menu).

Based on that number, I can approximate the total number of coins I have listed. Each page contains 1-8 coins. Most pages contain 3-4 coins. A rough estimate would be 3.5 coins per page. If you deduct all of my home/menu pages that don't have any coins listed, I have approximately 540 website pages with coins listed in them. At a rough average of 3.5 coins per page, that comes out to approximately 1,900 coins listed. That makes sense because, even before doing the calculations, I assumed that the total number would be approximately that amount.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1278 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:11 am »
I was just curious. You have an big collection! Thanks for taking the time to put them online.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1279 on: May 03, 2021, 12:20:46 pm »
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the message.

Giving my website a quick glance, I didn't realize how many of my pages actually have more than 3-4 coins per page. So, that would raise the average number of coins per page to approximately 4 or possibly even more. As a result, that would mean that my total number of coins listed would actually be 2,000 or more. For several years (like when my relative ask me, for example), I suspected that the total number of coins was approximately that amount.

And I still have more coins and medals/medallions to post in my website in sections I haven't created yet.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1280 on: May 03, 2021, 12:32:01 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 11 sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos:

Constantius II - Leo I

Regarding my AE 4 coins in my last page, I decided to leave the photos small (by not cropping them so much) so as not to make them blurry. These coins are very small, and my previous photos (that I swapped out today) were very blurry. By keeping them small, I made the photos sharper and much less blurry.

I am not pleased with the way my Valentinian III photos turned out. That coin is also an AE 4, but it is larger than the other AE 4 coins in that page. Maybe I will re-shoot that coin later today or tomorrow and not crop it so much. I am undecided. What do other Forum members think? Is it too blurry?

The last 2 coins in that page are pedigreed coins from the Lindgren collection. I purchased them from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away.

Otherwise, I am all done swapping out my sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos, and I can move on to my next section.

Meepzorp

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #1281 on: May 03, 2021, 08:38:03 pm »
The photos of the AE4's are probably as good as they can get. They're impossible little devils.
Best
Larry

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1282 on: May 03, 2021, 09:11:31 pm »
Hi lc,

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, you are 100% correct. They are little itty bitty tiny coins, especially the first and last coins in my last page.

And I am using an old iPhone 4 that is probably 10 years old or more. From what I have heard, the newer generation iPhones have better cameras. For some reason, those small coins give my old iPhone 4 fits. It really struggles with small coins.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1283 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:45 pm »
Hi folks,

I just swapped out my Valentinian III photos (again!!!). Because it is a small coin, I didn't crop the photos as much.

I am now finally done swapping out my sub-par (blurry) Roman Imperial photos.

Meepzorp

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #1284 on: May 04, 2021, 12:27:03 am »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1285 on: May 04, 2021, 04:26:43 am »
Hi folks,

I had only one Byzantine coin where my photos were blurry. It is a Heraclius coin, the last one in that page. I just swapped out my 2 photos of it. As with my small AE 4 Roman coins, I didn't crop my Heraclius photos as much because it is also a small coin.

I also edited the text description for that coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1286 on: May 04, 2021, 04:38:13 am »
Huge collection

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the message.

This is what happens when someone has no life. :)

I would have traded all of this to have led a normal life, but that wasn't "in the stars" for me. I am trying to make the best of the bad hand I was dealt in life. It turned out that ancient coins were my "outlet" and my "passion". If someone would have told me this back when I was 20 years old, and in college, and still healthy (before being stricken with my illness when I was 22 years old, which SEVERELY altered my life path and turned my entire world upside-down), I never would have believed them. When I was 20 years old, I never imagined that my life would turn out this way.

Meepzorp

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #1287 on: May 04, 2021, 07:12:37 am »
I am sorry your health has taken much from you, but I am glad you found something you enjoy.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #1288 on: May 04, 2021, 08:33:06 am »
+1 to what Joe said.

Most of us didn't end up where we thought we'd be, for various reasons.  It's a cliche, but take those lemons and make lemonade.  Some of us have more lemons unfortunately.  Just gotta keep squeezing...

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1289 on: May 05, 2021, 06:13:11 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I added one coin to each of my following website pages:

Roman Provincial, Phrygia, Bruzos (first coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_phrygia_bruz_eucarp.htm

Roman Provincial, Thrace, Hadrianopolis, Part 1 (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_thrace_hadr_pt01.htm

These are new arrivals. I received them yesterday.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1290 on: May 05, 2021, 06:15:28 am »
Hi Joe and Jay,

Thanks for the messages.

And Jay, you are correct about the lemons. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #1291 on: May 05, 2021, 09:11:51 pm »
Meep - such an impressive collection, forgive me for saying the coins deserve more than iphone photography.  Have you considered a decent digital camera and macro lens?  Compared to what you have invested in your collection, it would be a pittance to take the photos you obviously enjoy taking.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1292 on: May 06, 2021, 04:25:05 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 4 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Ancona - Capua

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1293 on: May 06, 2021, 04:44:45 am »
Hi RC2,

Thanks for the message.

At this point, it would be too much time and trouble to go back and re-shoot all of my photos. There may be more than 10,000 photos. I began this project in 2012. That was 9 years ago. And I began my website (which is Phase III of my project) in 2015. That was 6 years ago. I would like to get this project finished so that I can get on with my life. This entire project, including my website, has consumed too many years of my life already. When I first began this phase of my project (my website), I thought it would take 6 months. Here I am, 6 years later, and there is no end in sight.

I know that you are relatively new to Forum. You weren't active when I began this project all those years ago. Coming into this project, it was never my intention to shoot auction quality photos. I just wanted to shoot decent photos for educational purposes, for the purpose of documenting my collection in the event of loss or theft, and maybe for posterity purposes (possibly establishing a pedigree after I pass away).

To be perfectly honest with you, I (along with many Forum members at that time) was shocked that my website even got off the ground and actually worked. A few Forum members at that time publicly wrote that my website would be a "train wreck" (and that is a direct quote). Considering the very low expectations of me at that time, I think it turned out very well. I am satisfied with my photos. They are good enough for me.

Meepzorp

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
« Reply #1294 on: May 06, 2021, 07:49:15 pm »
Meepzorp,

I think that your website is outstanding. The photos are great and I love the pictures of the handwritten tags. It is always a treat to take a stroll through your site.

All of the best.

Tracy

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #1295 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:14 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on May 06, 2021, 04:44:45 am
Hi RC2,

Thanks for the message.

At this point, it would be too much time and trouble to go back and re-shoot all of my photos. There may be more than 10,000 photos. I began this project in 2012. That was 9 years ago. And I began my website (which is Phase III of my project) in 2015. That was 6 years ago. I would like to get this project finished so that I can get on with my life. This entire project, including my website, has consumed too many years of my life already. When I first began this phase of my project (my website), I thought it would take 6 months. Here I am, 6 years later, and there is no end in sight.

I know that you are relatively new to Forum. You weren't active when I began this project all those years ago. Coming into this project, it was never my intention to shoot auction quality photos. I just wanted to shoot decent photos for educational purposes, for the purpose of documenting my collection in the event of loss or theft, and maybe for posterity purposes (possibly establishing a pedigree after I pass away).

To be perfectly honest with you, I (along with many Forum members at that time) was shocked that my website even got off the ground and actually worked. A few Forum members at that time publicly wrote that my website would be a "train wreck" (and that is a direct quote). Considering the very low expectations of me at that time, I think it turned out very well. I am satisfied with my photos. They are good enough for me.

Meepzorp

It's an impressive commitment to document so many coins, and if you are happy with a phone camera, then that's all that matters - not my opinion.  I actually started on FORUM in around 2002, but I went inactive around 2010 for the last few years and my old account got deleted.  My old posts were under a different user name and now they all show up as guest account posts if I search for them.  I had to re-start my gallery from scratch.  Oh well.  It was not well maintained back then anyhow :)

At some point I'll photograph the non-denarii coins I have, but to be honest, I really only care about the silvers :)
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1296 on: May 07, 2021, 03:30:37 am »
I think that your website is outstanding. The photos are great and I love the pictures of the handwritten tags. It is always a treat to take a stroll through your site.

Hi TA,

Thank you for the positive message. :)

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1297 on: May 08, 2021, 09:59:29 am »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 5 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Casale - Desana

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1298 on: May 10, 2021, 04:05:00 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 5 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Casale - Fosdinovo

That Casale coin with the deer on the obverse gave my old iPhone 4 fits. It really struggled with the obverse. It is a small coin. Also, the obverse is flatly struck (low relief), whereas the reverse is more struck up (high relief). That is why the reverse photo is fine. I swapped out the obverse photo several times since I first posted it. I finally decided not to crop it all the way. The image is small, but it is now clearer and crisper.

I also decided not to crop one of my Desana coins all the way. That is another coin where I swapped out the photos several times since I first posted it.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #1299 on: May 11, 2021, 01:46:41 pm »
Hi folks,

Today, I swapped out 9 sub-par (blurry) Medieval Italy photos:

Frinco - Genoa

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity