Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Identifying a mint mark on an Alexander tetradrachm  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
  • Vorenus, you look like you've seen the gorgon.
Identifying a mint mark on an Alexander tetradrachm
« on: February 01, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »
Hello all. I'm just trying to figure out the mint on this Alexander. From what I can tell it looks to be a bumblebee. Am I correct that this is the Sardis mint Mark? Thanks to all for any input. As always, it is much appreciated.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
Re: Identifying a mint mark on an Alexander tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 09:53:38 pm »
If I see right a bee and this monogram above M (under Zeus ' throne) , it is Babylon mint.  

** the letters you see  above M , we call them monogram.

Added : How ever this Tetra of yours ,  is in NGC box , they usually say the mint on the tag .
Sam
Sam Mansourati

Offline Caesarincarnate

• Consul
  • Vorenus, you look like you've seen the gorgon.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:11:03 am »
Yeah I was looking for it, but the mint is actually not listed on this one. But thanks very much for the info. Any idea about the significance of the bee?

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 04:54:53 am »
Yeah I was looking for it, but the mint is actually not listed on this one. But thanks very much for the info. Any idea about the significance of the bee?

That´s a good question . The significance of the bee. I own a good drachm with a bee,from Sardes.
Cilick to enlarge if necessary.

Offline Sam

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ego vici mundum
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:00:43 pm »

You are very welcome.

It said in Greek mythology that Zeus was nursed by Melissa  as a child , she fed  him with honey rather than feeding him milk.

Maybe this is one of the reasons to see bees on ancient coins.

Sam
Sam Mansourati

All coins are guaranteed for eternity