Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: EY monogram in greek coins.. what does it means?  (Read 5269 times)

Taras

EY monogram in greek coins.. what does it means?
« on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »
Hi everybody, sorry for my bad english.  :P
I have a question: I noticed the monogram EY in a lot of coins fron Lucania, Heraklea; Bithynia, Herakleia Pontika; Thrace and Macedonia... what does it means? Is it a monogram linked to Herakles?
I ask because I don't understand the mint of a coin... A diobol.
The seller tells me it's from Tarentum, but I don't find in literature a diobol from Tarentum with the EY monogram beetwen Herakles legs. Is it possible that my coin is from Heraklea? Some staters in literature from Heraklea have that monogram beetwen legs, but not diobols.  :-\
Someone can help me?

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: EY monogram in greek coins.. what does it means?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:13:40 pm »
hello Taras, and welcome to Forvm! (btw, i love the name  ;)  )

on coins from Magna Graecia the EY is usually the engraver's initial.
this signature can be found on the coins of Taras, Herakleia, Thourioi and elsewhere, including Syracuse.
sometimes it appears as EYOP or EY :Greek_Theta: P, etc, although i'm not sure if these are actually the same engraver. there is also the signature  :GreeK_Sigma: P, but that is almost certainly a different artist. it was a common practice for artists to move around the region in pursuit of their trade.

of your example (similar to Vlasto 1335) Sir Arthur Evans writes...

"The Herakleian artist, again, who signs EY :Greek_Phi: P in minute letters on the exergual line, varies the practice by placing a conspicuous EY in the field above it between the legs of the struggling Herakles."

~ Peter

(btw, i almost bought that particular coin myself... congratulations!  8) )

Taras

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 03:47:06 pm »
Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge Enodia!! Your answer seems to me a gift.  :)
I was going crazy with this coin!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 04:06:52 pm »
you're very welcome Taras! it isn't very often i get to write about my favorite subject.

these diobols were struck at both Taras and Herakleia as a federal issue of the Italiote League. this explains their similarities, but also makes it hard sometimes to identify which is which. some had an H-E above the lion for Herakleia, or TAPANTINION for Taras, but not all of them, and this coin is off-centered in that area anyway.
i'm leaning towards Taras for this thunderbolt type, but i'm somewhat prejudiced that way so i can't be sure.

you can explore some of the coins of Taras in my gallery...
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=3132

and this is a great site for Magna Graecia coins in general...
http://www.magnagraecia.nl/coins/

~ Peter

Taras

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 04:48:48 pm »
Very interesting your collection!
I'm new to this passion for ancient Magna Grecia coins, and I'm glad I can find on this forum people like you to share it.
Thanks again for your help. :)
And sorry again for my very bad english!  ::)

Taras

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 04:27:36 pm »
Puzzle solved... my coin is from Tarentum, Vlasto 1400

PS. Thanks a lot to acraf, editor of the Italian numismatic forum www.lamoneta.it

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 04:48:12 pm »
the thunderbolt, the signature, and that wry smile... absolutely a match!
nice job Taras.  8)

~ Peter

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 03:32:04 am »

on coins from Magna Graecia the EY is usually the engraver's initial.

Why aren't these letters explained as magistrates' signatures, like on so many other Greek issues?
Regards
Gert

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 01:24:40 pm »
There is a long history of debate about the letters appearing on the coins of Taras.  Some have argued for engravers' signatures, at least in some cases, others for local magistrates, still others for magistrates who had jurisdiction in several citites since the initials appear on the coins of more than one city at a time when the cities were in an active military alliance.  I think the root of the problem is that we have very little information about just what was a magistrate who might have signed coins in a Greco-Italian city at that time.  Might a die maker be also the official in charge of of the minting?  Would a official in charge of the coining have specific duties that required his initials on the coins, or might he require the initials of a subordinate actually tasked with maintaining the standards of weights and purity be placed on the coins?  We just do not know for lack of information.  In short, we do not really know which magistrates did what in regard to minting.  I find this just as frustrating as I am sure you do.

Mac

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:42 pm »
yes indeed, it is a very confusing topic.
i tend to draw a very rough line at about the time of Kleonymos, at the turn of the 4th-3rd centuries. prior to that i don't think many of the signatures were magistrates. after that the longer ones almost certainly are, especially those underneath the horse's belly.
but it is most certainly a frustrating issue.

~ Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 07:02:07 am »
Hi folks,

If the letters represent engravers' names, and not magistrates' names, then these coins were struck from "signed dies".

Meepzorp

Taras

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
Wow Meep, you have revitalized one of the first threads I started on this board!
In the last three years I have learned something more on the matter.
As general rule on Tarentine coinage engravers' signatures are single letters, couple or triplet of letters, or monograms; when the name is reported full or abbreviated (but still more than three letters) it should be a Magistrate name. An exception is the engraver Philistion, who signed a tarentine die  ΦΙΛΙΣ
As general rule this should be valid also for other mints of Magna Graecia, but I'm less sure about this. Philistion once again is an exception (he had to be a really unusual artist), as he signed a stater at Velia engraving the whole name ΦΙΛΙΣΤΙΩΝ; on another die he even signed his whole name in genitive, and very visible on the helm: ΦΙΛΙΣΤΙΩΝΟΣ, as to say "Hey guys, I really made this work of art!!"

About the signature EY, object of this thread, it occurs on other coins, all staters, minted in Taras after 275 BC, like Vlasto 720-3; 842-4; 864-6; 913-23; the time span is maybe too large, in fact there are more than 50 years between the first and the last of the types signed EY, so maybe in Taras there were more than one engraver with those name initials during the third century BC.
We also know Tarentine dies signed EY+, like this one from my collection, ex-Vlasto (Ravel cat. 930); for another sample see obverse die of type Evans p.220, 37 (VIII M2). Giuseppe Libero Mangieri speculated the + sign is to be read Φ.

Bye friends :)
Nico

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 11:53:32 am »
Hi Taras,

Actually, it was Enodia who resurrected this thread. I responded to his post.

But I'm glad he did. It's an interesting thread.

And yes, you do see these letters on other Magna Graecia coins. For example, off the top of my head, I can think of 2 Campania, Neapolis didrachms with these types of letters on the obverse:

:Greek_Chi: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_epsilon:  (SNG ANS 359)
 :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Xi:    :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Rho:  (SNG ANS 382)

I remember forum members discussing the second example in another thread about a year ago or so. Some members mistakenly believed that it referred to the city of Taras. My suspicion all along was that it is a person's name, possibly a magistrate. That hunch was confirmed by other members.

And that's not even getting into the letters found on the reverses (under the MFB). For example,  :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Pi_3: :Greek_Iota: is sometimes seen.

Meepzorp

Taras

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »
Meep, the matter of letters and symbols on Neapolitan coins has been studied in deep by Marina Taliercio Mensitieri in her works.

There is a long history of debate about the letters appearing on the coins of Taras.  Some have argued for engravers' signatures, at least in some cases, others for local magistrates, still others for magistrates who had jurisdiction in several citites since the initials appear on the coins of more than one city at a time when the cities were in an active military alliance.  I think the root of the problem is that we have very little information about just what was a magistrate who might have signed coins in a Greco-Italian city at that time.  Might a die maker be also the official in charge of of the minting?  Would a official in charge of the coining have specific duties that required his initials on the coins, or might he require the initials of a subordinate actually tasked with maintaining the standards of weights and purity be placed on the coins?  We just do not know for lack of information.  In short, we do not really know which magistrates did what in regard to minting.  I find this just as frustrating as I am sure you do.

Mac

yes indeed, it is a very confusing topic.
i tend to draw a very rough line at about the time of Kleonymos, at the turn of the 4th-3rd centuries. prior to that i don't think many of the signatures were magistrates. after that the longer ones almost certainly are, especially those underneath the horse's belly.
but it is most certainly a frustrating issue.

~ Peter

Sorry Peter and Mac, I missed your previous posts.
Yes the issue is frustrating, but really interesting indeed.
The matter is really complex, and evidences are very scarce, but in the last years new studies of Epigraphy on some old archaeological founds from Bruttium and Sicily is giving us many informations on the political institutions of the ancient poleis of MG, at least for the "doric" poleis since IV centurt BC, (but those institutions had to be earlier). For those reading Italian I strongly recommend the reading of A. Filocamo and F. Cordano's works.
Maybe what we name "magistrate" on the coins of the ancient poleis of Magna Graecia was not simply a monetary magistrate, but something more, like an eponymous magistrate of the poleis for the year (or period in charge) of minting. Sometimes they had also religious offices, sometimes the eponymous and the religious offices were attributed to two different persons.
If I had one more life to live I would study R. K. Sherk's monumental work on "The Eponymous Officials of Greek Cities", trying to link those, and other most recent epigraphic informations with the various letters, monograms etc. we see on Greek coins. I think many interesting new things on the ancient Greek world would be disclosed.
Maybe what I wrote in the previous message is totally wrong, and many letters and monograms are to be referred to magistrates. Maybe the master engraver was himself the "official in charge of of the minting", as argued by Mac, so the letters could be the master engraver's signature and the monetary magistrate's name at the same time. Maybe the monograms are not individual names, maybe monograms had not the same meaning of letters and abbreviations, maybe the monograms are to be referred to a "group" of people of the polis. Only one thing is sure, there is much to learn on this matter.

Bye :)
Nico

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 06:21:48 pm »
I wish I knew Italian.  I don't want to _learn_ Italian,
I just want to _know_ it, and read books that Nico suggests. ;)

Taras

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 09:33:42 am »

LOL  ;D

I have the exact same problem with German, I wish to read it but I don't want to learn it... and I strongly needed to read some works in German for the Potamikon project with Molinari.... so I've found the following solution: I sought among Italian scholars of History who are familiar with German and who lived at least one year in Germany, and I hired a very smart graduate boy named Maurizio. We meet two hours a week, he reads the german text directly in Italian while I register his voice by the microphone. This way I spend not too much. A professional german-italian translator asks much money for each page to be translated. By this method I translate about 8 pages per session, at the price it would cost me a single page if I had asked the translation to a professional (though I give Maurizio a decent compensation of 15 euro per hour, which here in Italy is the average price for a private lesson of German).
John, you could try to make the same thing in USA, maybe searching among Italian scholars living in your town, or American scholars who read Italian.

Best :)
Nico

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 10:14:07 am »

LOL  ;D

I have the exact same problem with German, I wish to read it but I don't want to learn it... and I strongly needed to read some works in German for the Potamikon project with Molinari.... so I've found the following solution: I sought among Italian scholars of History who are familiar with German and who lived at least one year in Germany, and I hired a very smart graduate boy named Maurizio. We meet two hours a week, he reads the german text directly in Italian while I register his voice by the microphone. This way I spend not too much. A professional german-italian translator asks much money for each page to be translated. By this method I translate about 8 pages per session, at the price it would cost me a single page if I had asked the translation to a professional (though I give Maurizio a decent compensation of 15 euro per hour, which here in Italy is the average price for a private lesson of German).
John, you could try to make the same thing in USA, maybe searching among Italian scholars living in your town, or American scholars who read Italian.

Nico

That's a very neat idea. Its at the same time very 18th century enlightenment to have a reader, and very united nations to have a simultaneous voice translation. And I can see how it is much more economical than a written translation. And soothing too! I wonder could I find someone to do the same? Ideally an English speaker with excellent German.

Taras

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 10:40:44 am »

LOL  ;D

Nico

That's a very neat idea. Its at the same time very 18th century enlightenment to have a reader, and very united nations to have a simultaneous voice translation. And I can see how it is much more economical than a written translation. And soothing too! I wonder could I find someone to do the same? Ideally an English speaker with excellent German.

Hi Andrew!
I'm glad you appreciated my idea, I hope this can help you with your studies.
I wish you will find soon your "Maurizio".

Nico

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 12:19:59 pm »
Nico, some time I'll have to do that for Gorini's book on the incuse coinage.
Probably when I get a round to-it.  (around to it).  ;D

I used to know a girl, she and her boyfriend made these little tokens that were round, called "to-its," that way when someone said, "I'll do it when I get around to it."  They would give them "a round to-it."    ;)

But, it is a good idea.  I'll keep it in mind.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity