Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ancient lead forgery of Herennia Etruscilla  (Read 973 times)

vidamal

ancient lead forgery of Herennia Etruscilla
« on: February 09, 2009, 05:34:17 am »
This is an ancient lead forgery of H.Etruscilla.Please give me some links or information about the method or technique they used.What I see they covered the lead with copper before silverwash.If someone is interested to make a study of this coin please,contact me.I guess not so many this kind of ancient forgery left.Weight:5.72 grams.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: ancient lead forgery of Herennia Etruscilla
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 09:53:59 am »
What makes you think that the core is made of lead? A copper covering seems unlikely and difficult, if not impossible, to achieve on top of soft lead.

Ancient forgeries were normally made by soldering thin sheets of silver onto a copper flan, or during this period when official coins were heavily de-based, from billon (silver and base metal mixed) or from base metal.

I wouldn't like to say if your coin is official or not. The weight is quite high, but official coins had a large range of weights.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

vidamal

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »
What makes you think that the core is made of lead? A copper covering seems unlikely and difficult, if not impossible, to achieve on top of soft lead.

Ancient forgeries were normally made by soldering thin sheets of silver onto a copper flan, or during this period when official coins were heavily de-based, from billon (silver and base metal mixed) or from base metal.

I wouldn't like to say if your coin is official or not. The weight is quite high, but official coins had a large range of weights.
As I`ve said the core is lead.You can see at 4 o`clock on the first pictuere,something grey.Anyway it is a soft grey material covered with copper.They couldn`t  attech the silver to lead so they made a copper coating first.I agree usually they silvered a copper coin that`s why mine is so special and rare.Meanwhile  I found an interesting article on internet side.
http://msn-list.te.verweg.com/2006-April/005019.html      Take a look at it

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:00 pm »
I not see  coppered... I think normal patina of tin

vidamal

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 04:03:05 pm »

[/quote]My question.Is the patina red of tin or lead?Maybe my picture is bad.One thing I know.The coin is ancient coming from reliable source.The truth is having in hand looks coppered at least the color(red).Maybe I am wrong it is tin and not lead.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:02:26 pm »
Hi vidamal
Lead's oxide = red lead ... I think  tin made  red oxide also.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity