Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius at Iuliopolis OTD  (Read 931 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Septimius at Iuliopolis OTD
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:57:54 am »
Now photographing coins previously only scanned, I propose this one for our attention.  Here is Septimius, media vitae, surely before AD 205 (when Aurelius Gallus was still governor over in Moesia Inferior), by a highly superior Bithynian engraver (at any rate, one working in Bithynia), who gets the set of the eye relative to the nose, a mouth surely meant to convey both purposefulness and sensitivity, drapery that looks and feels like drapery, and, on the reverse, a Zeus with a really nice head (anatomy a bit vague in the pelvic area).  It didn't look nearly so good in the crude scan.
• 12 09 03 AE 25  10.92g  axis 7:00  Iuliopolis, BithyniaSeptimius Severus, laureate, draped bust to r.  AV K L SEPTI      SEVE[ROS PE?  LK has pi sigma].  Rev., Zeus enthroned to l., with scepter and patera.  IOULIOP    OLITO and in exergue N.  Lindgren & Kovacs p. 9, no. 124, pl. 5, with reference, BMC 5. Also Rec Gén I, p. 386, no. 10, pl. LXIII, 9 (rev. only).  Iuliopolis, Head says, HN 516, is sometimes Neokoron, too,** though we seem to know very little about it.
** Head can't be right about everything; see Curtis's note correcting that assertion.
Pat L.
click to zoom

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Septimius at Iuliopolis OTD
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:24 am »
Beautiful picture and beautiful coin. Thanks for posting it Pat!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 09:37:25 am »
That truly is an exceptional coin. You (and a few other Forum members!) are starting to get me to see the beauty in these provincial issues. Thanks for posting!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 09:47:15 am »
Juliopolis was never neokopos, however.

The medallion of Caracalla that allegedly proved it, RG 25, pl. XLIII.20, has merely been tooled in modern times from Hierapolis in Phrygia, as pointed out by W. Weiser, SNR 68, 1989, p. 67, pl. 5, 29-30.
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 01:30:37 pm »
Thank you!  I ought at least to have checked B. Burrell's list in Neokoroi, where Iuliopolis is absent from the list of cities (although, as a dissertation, her work antedated Weiser's, the latter is, however, in her bibliography, p. 392).
But I really was surprised when I saw that note in Head; every other city that was Neokoros had some claim, some notability, that Iuliopolis seems to have lacked.
At least, my last-minute addition of Head's note to my squib brought Curtis to mention the problem bringing it  to Forum's attention here.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity