Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Looking for conf on coin ID. Inscriotion=MESSENION obv=CALF rev=LION 16g 23mm  (Read 726 times)

Offline Ed S

• Legionary
After doing a lot of browsing on the internet, the coin matches the description I found below. I have seen the same images on something called a stater. This appears to be a Tetradrachm but it only weighs 16 oz not 17.2 oz. It is approximately 23mm in diameter. I haven't been able to find another one on the web to confirm that this design actually exists as a Tetradrachm. Do they? Are they hard to find?

Excerpt:
The most ancient coins with the legend MESSENION are in all probability to be dated from the year of his occupation, and thus mark the first act by which the new name of city was publicly adopted.
Zancle changed its name to Messene, as commonly held, in the third or fourth year of the LXXI Olympiad (494-B. C.), and adopted on its coinage the type of Samos, the mask of a lion, facing, and the bull's head in profile

Online shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
I haven't been able to find another one on the web to confirm that this design actually exists as a Tetradrachm. Do they? Are they hard to find?

Here is an example:

https://ikmk.smb.museum/object?id=18216056

Somehow I don't like the look of your coin. What does the edge look like?

Offline Ed S

• Legionary
Thanks for the info. That does seem to match except that mine is lighter (I will try another scale). The edge is rounded. There is no line like a mold would make.

This is the only coin I own. I live in a very small rural town in Florida. It's a close community so selling a fake coin would be fatal to a coin shop business here.

I was buying junk silver and the this coin was the last piece of silver the dealer had. He didn't want to sell it but I fell in love with it so we eventually made a trade. It certainly has the feel and aura of the real thing.

Offline Ed S

• Legionary
Thank you both so much for all this wonderful information. I'm going to send it to NGC now for certification.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity