Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two Ring Fibula from Cyprus. Information on them would be appreciated.  (Read 1993 times)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
Hi all,

I am getting these two bronze fibulae (?) which were excavated in Cyprus. The person from whom I obtained them is a coin collector and has no real knowledge of the items. His first guess was that they were Celtic. His second guess was that they were 300 or so years old.

Although they seem to be a bit more crudely made than the 1800+ year old ones usually seen, I would have guessed them to be closer to that age than the more recent dating. I have also never heard of such a tiny one as the smaller of the two - 14mm diameter and less than a gram in weight.

Can anyone give me information on the two items.

All the best,
Col

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Two Ring Fibula from Cyprus. Information on them would be appreciated.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 10:06:51 am »
Col,

Good luck trying to get an ID on these.  I have been collecting fibulae for 10 years now and have around 300 as well as a good two dozen reference books on them and I still throw my hands up in frustration over these "ring fibulae".

How to separate ring fibulae from ring buckles (including those used on shoes, belts and horse harness)?

How to date Celtic, from Roman, from Byzantine, from medieval, from early modern??

I wish there was a good site or book that helped explain this or an expert to come to our rescue.....  but so far I have searched in vain.

Your information may well be correct it is just so hard to verify.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline coldavo

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 10:49:37 pm »
Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the note.

The only thing that I am sure about re the two "ring Fibulae" is that they were excavated in Cyprus. As to exactly what they are and their age - I have no idea. I am presuming them to be fibulae but (?).

I do have another one that was excavated in Spain - that is the definate information. It is said to be Celtic 5th - 1st Century BC - I'm not sure of that bit of information - what do you think?

All the best,
Col

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:33 am »
Col,

Though no expert on these I have been led to believe that this design with the two "feet" - yours is missing one - are definitely fibulae and not buckles.  They are usually known as "omega" fibulae from the shape that a complete one has.  Again dating is cmpicated as they existed in Viking times too. - bviously not a lot of Vikings in Spain but nevertheless it shows the huge age span.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity