Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two rare Roman military themed fibulae  (Read 1923 times)

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Two rare Roman military themed fibulae
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:50:47 am »
These are two recent acquisitions.

The first is an openwork plate fibula in the form of a camp gate or city gate.  You can see two archways below, brickwork above and crenelations along the top.  It is bronze, 20 mm x 30 mm.  The original pin can be seen on the reverse though it has been bent nearly 90 degrees over the hinge plate.

This is a rare type and not well documented.  A similar type with a rounded top is more well known - Hattatt calls it a temple type.  The hinge, pin and catch plate arrangement are consistent with 2nd - 3rd c AD.

(2nd example in next post).

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
Re: Two rare Roman military themed fibulae
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 04:57:39 am »
This second one is even rarer.  It is in the form of a cornu - a curved Roman military horn.  You can see the narrow mouthpiece in the middle and the flaring bell at the end.  it even had a widened hand grip and crosshatching at the top and bottom of the frame that might be meant to indicate ribbons.

Unfortunately it was too good a fibula for upstream suppliers to avoid messing with.  Some idiot has added a new pin using the rust-and-epoxy method to attach it.  I'd love to get rid of it but I dare not mess with the thing not knowing exactly what gunk they used to bond it on.

It is bronze, 25 mm x 34 mm.

I would love to hear (and see) if anyone else has examples of either of these fibulae types.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline kitov

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 10:51:26 am »
similar but broken fibulae

Offline SC

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:24:12 am »
Kitov,

I don't think your fibula is a camp gate type.  I think it had an abstract open work pattern - likely one with a left hand swastika design in the open work.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Viminacium

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:46 am »
Nice and rare camp gate fibula.... I like it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity