Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze brooch, anyone knows this type??  (Read 1550 times)

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Bronze brooch, anyone knows this type??
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:19 am »
This small brooch of bronze is 3,1x1,8 cm, decorated with 3 punched cirkles. The ends looks like some kind of animal heads. Does anoyone knows about date and origin of this artefact? I have not come across any similar myself.

Best regards
Pierre P.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Bronze brooch, anyone knows this type??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:49:41 am »
Pierre,

This is a damaged example of an animal head "swastika" fibula.

Two of the arms are almost complete - I think there is some damage to the animal's ears and snout.  The other two arms are broken off.  The ring marks in the heads are the animal's eyes.  It is often descrobed as horse's heads but I am not sure if that is what they actually are or not.

I will try to look up more information but they are Roman, I think around 2nd century AD (you can see that yours was pin-back not spring-back).  They are often found in the Balkans.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

marrk

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:16 am »
fibula with four horse heads.

Offline pierre_p77

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 06:10:41 pm »
Thank you very much for the information and picture! Great to finally learn somthing about that fibula.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity