Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ancient Egyptian Gold Bes Head Amulet  (Read 4754 times)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Ancient Egyptian Gold Bes Head Amulet
« on: April 24, 2021, 02:45:57 pm »
I’ve added this 1.9cm (3/4") tall solid-cast gold amuletic pendant of the leonine dwarf-god Bes with plumed headdress and voluminous beard, raised bar with two suspension holes to the reverse, to my Egyptian Antiquities gallery.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Re: Ancient Egyptian Gold Bes Head Amulet
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 03:32:20 pm »
UPDATE: I always wondered how this endearing gold Bes head amulet from the Late Period, c.664-332 BC, was worn by the ancient Egyptians because of the two suspension holes on the bar at the back. Was it worn as a single piece, brooch or part of a necklace with other amulets? Was it worn by a high-ranking Egyptian male or female? Fortunately, I came across a remarkably similar Bes head amulet on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

The piece at the Met is more stylised than my Late Period gold artefact and comes from the Achaemenid Empire, c.6th-4th century BC, with eyes and eyebrows that were originally inlaid. It was the centrepiece of a necklace comprised mostly of gold plaques with images of walking horses accompanied by attendants. In Egyptian thought Bes played a protective role, and it is possible that this function was ascribed to him by the Persians as well.

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/325818

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2021, 09:07:01 am »
Interesting.  So threaded through the holes on a necklace?

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2021, 12:49:45 pm »
Interesting.  So threaded through the holes on a necklace?

SC

Yes, many aspects of Egyptian material culture were appropriated by the Persians and my Late Period gold Bes head amulet may have been similarly suspended on a necklace along with other gold pieces or plaques.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity