Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help Probus  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
ID Help Probus
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:23:11 pm »
Probus AE Antoninianus
Obv: PROBVS PF AVG - Radiate bust right, cuirassed
Rev: ADVENTVS AVG - Probus on horseback left, holding scepter and right hand held high in return salute; at left, under hoof, a captive looks on. Exe: R (wreath) (delta)

I found on WildWinds the same but with a different obverse legend (RIC 156): IMP C PROBVS AVG

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/bigpic.cgi?img=coins/./ric/probus/RIC_0156,D.jpg&ruler=./ric/probus/i.html

Thanks

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: ID Help Probus
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 05:38:44 pm »
This would be RIC 158 Bust Type F var (unlisted for this officina for this emission in RIC). It is rather unfortunately a modern fake. It is part of the batch of coins sold into uncleaned batches all around the world.

Here are some other example from the fake reports. Note the identical die pairs:-

and here among some of the others that are sold alongside it:-

I am sorry to be the bearer of this bad news.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 05:55:08 pm »
Thank you very much Martin.

I bought this coin during a recent trip to Paris and another coin of Diocletian, which is certainly fake as well.

Regards

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
I am afraid so. There are thousands of these that have been put on the market with some dealers being offered them in batches of 1,000.

Regards,
Martin

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:43:30 pm »
Some of these fakes look pretty good.

Offline Tanit

• Caesar
    • My Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 04:02:21 am »
The coins in the hands does not seem fake. But since I have not bought from my usual supplier and Martin said they are fake I am inclined to believe.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity