Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A new helmeted Carausius  (Read 604 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
A new helmeted Carausius
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »
Hi,

It has been a long time since I was able to add a Carausius to my collection, I keep being outbid on items or really not even in the ball park for some items. That is the trouble when you remember what things used to be bought for. So I was pleased when a dealer contacted me with the following coin for sale (incidentally I've also just been offered a Diocletian Moneta Avggg which I'm waiting to see, maybe a second new coin for me):

Carausius 287-93AD
Antoninianus
Obv "[VIRTVS CAR]AVSI"
Helmeted bust left with spear and shield
Rev "FELICITAS AVG"
Felicitas standing left holding caduceus and cornucopia
Unmarked mint
RIC - (cf 778)

Although not in RIC is doesn't appear to be in the BM collection and may well be unpublished. Pity the obverse legend is off flan. There is enough of the reverse to be 95% confident to be sure this is from the un-marked group of coins.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: A new helmeted Carausius
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:05:29 pm »
Nice acquisition! I bought a helmeted Carausius with Pax reverse about a year ago. Not easy to find!

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:45:25 pm »
Congratulations Mauseus, a really nice find and I wish I had someone watching out for me on Carausius coins, maybe you could send us your seconds or something similar to that.

Pete

P.S.
And congratulations on the catalogue find also that really looks like a great resource and historical item to boot.

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:57:40 pm »
Hi,

I wish I had someone watching out for me on Carausius coins

The frustrating thing for me is that I know I'm the second choice Carausius customer for one international dealer. He tells me what his client has bought both from him and the general market.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline newbeonecoinobe

• Consul
  • This a great forum
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 05:05:47 pm »
Good one Mauseus, Sounds like you have both Love and Hate relationships with the dealers, one out of 2 is not a bad thing.

Pete

All coins are guaranteed for eternity