Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bad Verdigris?  (Read 2308 times)

Offline ModernCoinTraitor

• Praetorian
  • First ancient coin
Bad Verdigris?
« on: June 09, 2013, 09:01:58 am »
I am new to ancient coins. After reviewing every coin in the auction house and narrowing my list to two coins (based on interest, price, and beginner notes in the forum), then looking these up in RIC VII and studying the history on each, I became most fascinated by the one I finally purchased. I think it is an awesome coin and finally gets me out of modern coins and the "speculator" collectors. I love the history in these coins. But, I want to know how to care for my coin(s) as well.

[Being new to the forum as well, I've attached the picture since I'm not sure how to include it as part of the post.]

On the reverse are two areas that show the light green verdigris that I commonly associate with bronze disease. This may not be the case here, but I thought I'd ask. On my modern coins, I'd work with this by removing the flaky parts, then soaking the coin in distilled water for 3-4 weeks, changing the water fairly often. Will that work here?

Thanks in advance.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Bad Verdigris?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:46:56 am »
Hi James, it's not bronze disease. They are green encrustations, which you can tell by the colour, a rich, dark green, and by the fact that they're on top of the coin, whereas BD eats into the coin. Basically, that's the stuff patina is made of. There's no need to clean it off, if you wanted to, mechanical cleaning would be the way to go. But if you can't do it well, you'll most likely not improve the coin.
Andreas Reich

• Praetorian
  • First ancient coin
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:04:42 am »
Awesome! Nice to know.
I looked through other posts on BD and saw that it was typically a "whiter" fluff. Not the rich green.
So, I'll leave this one alone.

I keep my special coins in inert coin holders (uncertified slabs) and put a small dessicant pouch in the holder with them. Sounds like this coin is ready for display.

Thanks again.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 08:48:51 am »
You are of course free to store and display your coins however you wish.

However, you should be aware that most ancients are very different from modern coins.

Handling a coin like the one you showed will not effect it.  Even though it has been cleaned you are not dealing with a factory-perfect surface.  It has already built up much immunity to the environment.  No real danger of damage from fingerprints, etc.  No need to wear gloves.  You don't want to put chemicals or food on it but everyday handling is fine.

So a slab or slab-like device might be useful if you wish to match others in your collection but will not serve any real protective function.

As for dessicants, that depends on the relative humidity where you live.  Most places don't require it but some might.

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

• Praetorian
  • First ancient coin
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:42:18 pm »
Personally, I like ancient coins better because I can handle them! But, the few I care to display, I put in the holders like my others for "consistency".  Good to know they probably do not need the dessicant in the holder, but I'll keep it in the safe anyway.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity