Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Die match Philippus II provincial?  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Die match Philippus II provincial?
« on: March 04, 2004, 04:27:33 am »
Hello,

I'm wondering i've got my first die-match. Philip II provincial from Mesambria. Unfortunately one is of poor quality. Reverse Hygeia feeding snake and - if I'm correct - Demeter with torch and corn ears.

Curious about your opinions.

Best regards,
Gert

oerlikon20mm

Re:Die match Philippus II provincial?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 06:03:50 am »
The obverse looks like a die match to me.  Striking similarities at 1:00 and 5:30.

Gunner

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 10:09:37 am »
I have a couple with this obverse die as well.:)

Don't have a pic of the other one handy..

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 10:36:09 am »
Another die match?

Auto

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 10:38:24 am »
Nope! Neither the obv nor the rev die matches. Consdiering the ease with which one can find die matching coins, sometimes it's more of a feat to find non-matches.

Auto

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 06:45:47 pm »
I think there is software available for pictures, which can do the comparison automatically when you give it the 2 scans?

Jochen

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 07:18:34 pm »
      No software available, as far as I know.
      First, no market:  how many people want to compare dies?
       Second, far more serious, there are practical problems.  When comparing two images for die identity, I doubt a computer can be progammed to take proper account of:  Different image size.  Different illumination in the two images, producing different shadows.  Progressive die breaks and die wear.  Deliberate alterations of the die in the course of its use.  Striking faults: doublestriking, overstriking, off center, weak strike failing to reproduce the details at the center or along one edge.  Finally, wear and later damage to the coins, test marks and countermarks, dirt and oxide deposits still present, and, for bronze coins, frequent slight alterations of the details due to tooling and clumsy cleaning!
Curtis Clay

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 07:46:54 pm »
I do think that the problems Curtis refers to could in theory be addressed by software similar in concept to what is used for analysis of fingerprints.  It is of course extremely unlikely that anyone would invest anything like the millions required in an area as specific and uneconomic as die-matching!

Steve

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 07:49:00 pm »
Hi Curtis!

I have heard that the FBI or the German BKA use such software to identify criminals. And there the pictures or photographs are similar unsharp.
Or this was only a rumour?

Regard,
Jochen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity